Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 4WD Kia Sportage
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife has been driving my 05 Sportage and called me from work to tell me that the battery was dead. She also just now informed me that the brake lights were staying on. She thought that they would shut off with the key out of the ignition.
I thought I might have to replace the brake switch, but I discovered that it was only loose. Instead of pushing in the button, the pedal was just lifting the whole assembly. I tightened the lower nut, and the brakes work fine now,
I had some problems with the cruse control, the past few years ( working sometimes, and sometimes not). Now the cruse control works fine now.
Hope this helps someone else.
Tom

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0 CRDI XS (138)
80 Posts
Hi Tom,

You need to check that you have the revised brake light switch, this was part of a recall.

One sympton was the brake light switch did not operate and the cruise control would not cancel.

Mine was replaced with a similar sympton to yours as part of the recall.

from the AA website: =
Recall Ref: R/2009/092
Exact Model: Sportage, Carens, Sorento and Sedona
Description: BRAKE LIGHT MAY NOT OPERATE
VIN:
Build Date:
Numbers: 1816
Defect: It has been identified that due to a faulty switch, the brake lights may not operate when the brake pedal is depressed
Action: Recalled vehicles will have the brake light switch replaced.
Launch Date: 09 November 2009

·
Registered
2005 4WD Kia Sportage
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
Switch is original. Might replace just to be sure. Seems like the switch has two "clicks" when when brake pedal is released.
Tom

·
Registered
Sportage 05, 2.7l, 2WD
35 Posts
Another possiblity, if you have an electrical harness installed for a trailer... this might cause the same problem when it fails, typically after a thunderstrom or plenty of water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts