Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I realized yesterday that neither of my brake lights are working in my 2003 Sorento. I checked my fuse box, and checked the fuse labeled "STOP LAMP", and it's not busted. Today I bought two taillight bulbs, but I can't imagine both bulbs died at the exact same time. Am I checking the right fuse?

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it a ton.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
They may not have failed together, just not to far apart!
Check for power at the bulbs before delving to deeply into an electrical problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You didn't mention the high level brake light but it is all to often the case that when one brake bulb goes, the other will soon follow. Whether due to a slight increase in power flow through the remaining bulb I have no idea, but it is a common issue on all vehicles. When one goes, replace both.

I used to have a Volvo with a brake light bulb failure warning on the dashboard. This worked fine while only one bulb had failed because it operated on circuit balance disturbance, but when both failed, the circuit was still balanced so no warning was given.

This is why, despite whatever safety features there are, there is NO substitute for physical daily checks of lights and weekly checks of fluids.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts