Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So, I noticed my brake light bar on the rear door (the long one at the top of the rear window) was out. Is this a simple fuse replacement, or multiple bulb replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
When you open the liftgate, remove the trim panel behind the lens. Once it's out the light bar pops out of the lens. There are 5 individual "194" bulbs inside. I'd recommend replacing all of them while you're already in there.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Matty, first off thanks for the quick update. I realized I lacked some information in my post. Its a 2005 Kia Sorento.

Matty, i took off the trim panel (a b**** to put back on since its above your head and an awkward shape) and took out the brake light. First, I referred to my manual for which fuses to check and they were all perfectly fine. At this point I figure its all the 5 bulbs within the light. I was assuming at a glance that the 4 metal screws held the bulbs inside the light but I didn't want to tear it all apart until I had the bulbs. Does anyone have a bit more detailed information on getting the actual bulbs out of that housing? From a glance, they seemed sealed inside, but I could very well be wrong.

I will head to Auto Zone now and get my replacement bulbs and put them in and give it a shot. Broke one of my snap on pointers that hold the trim on (I always break one):mad:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worked out perfectly. Auto Zone said they were 168 ( i believe) bulbs, but I would check for yourself at your local auto parts store. Took a tough hand to yank the dead bulbs out, but I could clearly see they all blew out together.

Replaced and good as new. :)

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
Good deal, I'm glad it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
Worked out perfectly. Auto Zone said they were 168 ( i believe) bulbs, but I would check for yourself at your local auto parts store. Took a tough hand to yank the dead bulbs out, but I could clearly see they all blew out together.

Replaced and good as new. :)
They are correct in saying 168. The 168 bulbs are slightly brighter than the 194 bulbs(4.8W vs. 3.8W, if I'm correct), which is why they are used in the brake lamp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts