Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Sorrento EX with the extra features (looks just like the truck up at the top of the page). By and large I really like the vehicle. I have one serious issue with it that I am curious to know if any one else has seen. I have 33k miles on it and I have gone through three sets of front rotors and pads. They warp and I get a bad shimmy as I brake down through 50-40 mph. I don't run it hard or brake it hard, yet I can't seem to get more than about 12k out of a set (always fronts) before they warp. Does any one know if this is a common problem?
Thanks in Advance
JIm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by jlgerre@Aug 24 2004, 08:09 PM
I have a 2003 Sorrento EX with the extra features (looks just like the truck up at the top of the page). By and large I really like the vehicle. I have one serious issue with it that I am curious to know if any one else has seen. I have 33k miles on it and I have gone through three sets of front rotors and pads. They warp and I get a bad shimmy as I brake down through 50-40 mph. I don't run it hard or brake it hard, yet I can't seem to get more than about 12k out of a set (always fronts) before they warp. Does any one know if this is a common problem?
Thanks in Advance
JIm
Hi, I don't own a Sorento yet but soon. I doing my research on the car have come across some info on the warping it is because when they are install the torque pressure on the powers tool are set too high and causing the warp. Check with Kia or the dealer to make sure their not are doing this...good luck :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
jlgerre said:
Thanks in Advance
JIm
I too am having the exact same issue with my 2005 Sorento.

·
Registered
03 Sorie EX, AWD/04 Chevy Malibu MAXX LT/06 Pontiac Solstice/09 Cadillac CTS
108 Posts
insure the wheels are hand torgued correctly...I had the same problem with an 04 chevy...and my 03 sorie...as soon as I check and hand torqued the lug nuts correctly....the problem went away...

3 sets of pads and rotors in 33K is way too much.....I have 91 K on mine and only turned the rotors once..and changed pads once

·
Registered
Sorento CRDi Ex, Porsche 928S, Fiat Ducato X250
52 Posts
Possible causes in order of likelyhood:
-Wheels mounted with dirt/salt/damage on inside flanges (must be spotless)
-Wheel nut torque far too high.
-Longer existing dynamic unbalance causing play in wheel bearings. Tyres show uneven wear pattern.
-Misshapen, distorted or damaged tyre profile. May be caused also by minor warpage of alloy wheels.
-Wheel geometry alignment error.
-Corrosion in wet areas when the car is not in daily use. Does not cause real warpage but uneven rotor wear. The effect is the same.

·
Registered
2007 Sorento, 2005 F-150, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
88 Posts
Some questions should be asked here.....
Do you live in the mountains?
Do you have oversize tires and wheels on your Sorento?
Do you ride the brakes?
Are you a notoriously "late braker"?
Do you tow/haul a lot?
Are you the only driver of the car? Could you have a teenage daughter/son who likes to drive fast/brake hard? Or Wife?

Any of these can cause rotor warpage/excessive pad wear.

·
Registered
2004 LX 4x4 5 speed
106 Posts
I fixed this problem on my 2004 by going to drilled/slotted rotors and premium ceramic pads. Problem completely solved. Over two years and about 40,000 miles later there is about 35% life left in pads. Rotors are just fine. Trailer at 3,000-3,500 lbs with no brakes is EASILY handled by this set-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts