Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Sephia owners(and Spectra owners): My '99 Sephia has discs on front and drums on the rear. Unfortunately the brakes are adequate-barely. The front calipers are single piston with rathewr small pads. The rotors are not quite big enough to dissapate generated heat(motion isa changed to heat;basic physics). I think that in 2002 or thereabouts they enlarged the front rotors and brake parts(sorely needed).
My rear brakes are small drum brakes of simple design. I'm not sure if they are self adjusting and would like to know. They are unfortunately of non servo design, not even a single shoe servo on each side. My 1986 Dodge Diplomat has 10" drums on the rear with dual servo style design. This uses some of the cars forward energy to increase the efficiency and stopping power of the rear brakes. I just rebuilt them and they are the best drum brakes I've ever seen and they are self adjusting. The police model had 11" rear drums! The Diplomat also has superior Kelsey-Hayes single piston type calipers on the front with probably twice the swept area over the Sephia. The rotors also dwarf the Sephia's too! Does anyone know of a better brake set for a '99 Sephia especially for the front. Let me know-really. Thanks. speedster1 e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wednesday, 12-28-05, I started to do a rear brake job on my `99 Sephia. The dealer told me that since 1999, Kia has gone through 5 different modifications. I did not see the newer ones, but the mechanics told me they are bigger and will not warp as easy as the previous models.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
and Spectra owners
all sephias and spectras after the year 1999 have since changed the braking units with bigger pads and rotors... anything 98-99 will fit each other but anything after the year 1999 will not fit the 98-99s....

there is no alternative unless you can do custom fitting....

well other than what I did that is.. I bought drilled and slotted rotors and ebc redstuff pads... it helped a little for overall braking ability.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts