Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back on 7/13/2012 I had to have my Master Cylinder replaced due to it bringing air into the brake lines. Also at that time they also replaced the Vacuum Brake Boosters. After getting the car back from that it drove fine again until I had to take it back on 10/13/12 due to the front brake calipers were frozen on the slide with the calipers against the rotor and ended up having to get new brake pads. Now all of this work we had done at Kia and after wards it drove fine until 12/4/2012 when this time we took it to Hutchens Chevrolet to find out the brake calipers and hoses had to be replaced because they were engaging while driving. Then around 5/25/2013 I had to take the car back due to the brakes and had the brake proportional valve replaced. After getting it back they said everything with the brakes have been replaced. But now I am still having issues where the brakes are engaging still while driving. Now each time I take it in to have them looked at it they don't get the same issues I do while driving. It seems it only wants to do this some of the times.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can tell the service guys to look at that would be great as I need to find out why this is happening only after they started replacing components with the brakes. It would be nice to get this all done so that it will be safe to drive again.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
is it ABS?
is there a chance you depress the brake pedal by mistake?
when was the fluid flushed last time?

brakes generally do not engage themselves. you might have dragging brakes due to friction on slides of pistons, or stuck brake pads, or restriction in the brake lines, but not that they open/close by themselves. Unless it is ABS that is malfunctioning and gets faulty signals.

The only other option I could see is after the master brake cylinder and the booster replacement the rod from brake pedal was adjusted too tight.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the brake fluid was flushed when I had the master cylinder replaced. Now as far as the ABS I will have to see if I do have it on that car but do not think I do. I know am not pushing on the brakes at all while cause when I take my foot off of the gas when the brakes are acting up the car comes to a stop without stepping on the brakes. Plus I do not need to step on the brakes while stopped as the car does not move at all when having this issue. Plus I am having to use more gas while driving to try and maintain my speed.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the car does not have ABS. So if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing the breaks to engage while driving please let me know so I can see if the shop can find out if that could be the problem.

I am wondering if the tie rods could be causing this issue as everything with the breaks have been replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
fill out your profile, please.
add details about the car itself.

Now, lift the car and spin each wheel. See how they spin. Can you move them freely?

Repeat test when engine is running and in N position.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lifted the car up and spun the tires. While the car was in park and the engine off I was unable to spin the tires. Now with the engine on and the car in neutral the tires spun themselves.

The Car is a front wheel drive and I only did the front tires as that is the problem seem to be. So if you have any other ideas on what could be causing the issue please let me know as I am still having issues with the brakes engaging while driving.

I have yet to take it back to the shop as they can't seem to get the same results as I do when they drive it. So I have been driving it trying to get it to act up before taking it in for them to look at so they can try to find the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
how touchy is it to brake pedal? Does the brake pedal have any freeplay?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
If the brakes are dragging on the rotors you must have air in the system. The only way to get the brakes to work is to push the pedal. If the pedal is adjusted properly (free play in the actuator rod) they do not depress themselves. The only other possibility is air in the lines or calipers expanding when things heat up, causing a dragging effect. Bleed and bleed again. Bleed at the master cylinder, bleed at the proportioning valve. and bleed at each caliper.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When not having the issue the brake pedal works like it supposed to. But when having the issue I only have to apply a little pressure to the brake pedal before they start to engage even more.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems that my problems have not gone away. When I start to have an issue with the brakes apply while driving if I were to stop and to push all the way down on the breaks a couple of times then it would stop.

Is it possible that to much brake fluid could cause the pressure to build up in the brake lines.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You can't really have "Too Much" brake fluid; there's a "Max" level on the reservoir, but it's simply to stop spillage.

You need to also check the rear wheels for free rotation. At least some models of the KIA Cinco have Drum Brakes, and these are subject to grabbing, with an auto-servo effect. There should also be a proportioning valve to prevent excess pressure to the rear brakes. Check for presence/absence of the valve, and possible misassemby of the rear (drum) brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts