Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake fluid flush or Exchange? Which one would you guys suggest for a 2015 Kia Sedona LX with 116000 miles? It’s been 40000 miles since the brake fluid was last serviced (brake fluid exchange). Does anyone recommend a flush or is the exchange good enough? The brakes seem to be working fine at this time. Also, is an exchange the same thing as bleeding the brakes?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,522 Posts
How much time since the brake fluid was changed/replaced?

Typically brake fluid replacement interval (time not mileage) is around 5 years, but reduced to around 2-3 years in high humidity, which Florida would be.

The brake bleed process is used when replacing fluid - bleeding is typically to expel air, but if the fluid replacement is done correctly then air should not enter the system.

For the ABS there's a procedure and equipment used to cycle the ABS pump during the process - not always done by some folks, and probably not essential.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much time since the brake fluid was changed/replaced?

Typically brake fluid replacement interval (time not mileage) is around 5 years, but reduced to around 2-3 years in high humidity, which Florida would be.

The brake bleed process is used when replacing fluid - bleeding is typically to expel air, but if the fluid replacement is done correctly then air should not enter the system.

For the ABS there's a procedure and equipment used to cycle the ABS pump during the process - not always done by some folks, and probably not essential.
Thanks for the reply. It’s been almost 3 years since the break fluid exchange service was done, and I do live in Florida. Would you trust someone like a Pep Boys to perform this service? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,522 Posts
Pep Boys should be able to do this, but its hit & miss with places like that where there's a high staff turnover.
Consider a reputable independant shop.

I use a cheap reliable tester to decide when to change my fluid.
Amazon.com: ITEQ Brake Fluid Liquid Tester Pen with 5 LED Indicators, Calibrated For DOT3 DOT4 Brake Fluid : Automotive

Here's how I do my brake fluid change:
20S42 - Recall for 2015-18 Edge and 2016-18 MKX - Brake Jounce Hoses - Page 2 - Recalls, TSBs & Warranty - Ford Edge Forum

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pep Boys should be able to do this, but its hit & miss with places like that where there's a high staff turnover.
Consider a reputable independant shop.

I use a cheap reliable tester to decide when to change my fluid.
Amazon.com: ITEQ Brake Fluid Liquid Tester Pen with 5 LED Indicators, Calibrated For DOT3 DOT4 Brake Fluid : Automotive

Here's how I do my brake fluid change:
20S42 - Recall for 2015-18 Edge and 2016-18 MKX - Brake Jounce Hoses - Page 2 - Recalls, TSBs & Warranty - Ford Edge Forum
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later