Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte LX+SE, Ford Escape
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, any body know what the best way to remove the rust spots caused by brake dust?? I have a white rio 5 and I washed my car on the weekend and noticed quite a few of them. I don't want to damage or weaken the paint.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX (w/ Nav)
28 Posts
I noticed I had these the other day! I just rubbed them and they disappeared, but there were too many to go around and get all of them. I would definitely appreciate the advice as well on how to get rid of them. :)

·
Registered
2012 Rio LX 2012 Soul+ 2.o
61 Posts
Hmmmm, perhaps that is what I was unable to remove from my wife's Soul . . . hard to tell on black but I live in fear of offending the paint as it is quite sensitive.

·
Registered
2013 KIA RIO5 SX
22 Posts
Like Mr. Huckster said A clay Bar. Clay Magic, Mothers, Megs. Follow the instructions. It will pull everything on top of paint off without harming the paint. Repolish and wax vehicle after.
Will even take off overspray and sap.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX m/t
6 Posts
Lubricate well when clay barring. There is also a solvent type product called Iron X I think that is said to work. I have never used Iron X but have heard good things about it. Google it or watch a YouTube video about it.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Someone please explain how you could have "Brake Dust Rust Spots":confused:? Brake dust is not metallic & I have never heard or seen it chip a cars paint. I think you must have rockchips from gravel or cinders on the road.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte LX+SE, Ford Escape
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assume that's what it is. I had the same issue on my Ford Escape which was brand new. The bodyshop guy told me that's what it was. I couldn't beleive the car was starting to rust especilally in high areas of the truck. He used a product and it came off. Seemed to be in liquid form but I can't seem to reach him anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When we bought our Rio the dealer warned us about these "rust spots" and if they showed up, bring the car back and they would clean it up at no charge. Google "rail dust"
As suggested, a clay bar works great at removing the spots.

·
Registered
2013 KIA RIO5 SX
22 Posts
Alot of vehicles are shipped by railroad. The brake dust is from the RR Cars. No big deal, you can even use clay with soapy water as lube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts