Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 1998 Sportage RWD base model.

Everywhere I go to get the rear drums and shoes do not match what I have.

I first tried Pep Boys, the drums match dimension wise, but the wheel studs will not fit, the holes for the wheel studs in the drum are smooth, the OE drums are knolled so the studs press in. It seems every aftermarket drum the studs don't press into the drum, they press into the axle flange.

I've since tried 3 other companies, all the same result. The drums will not accept the wheel studs I have on my drums currently.

Also the shoes I have seen clearly are meant for a larger diameter drum than what I have.

Is this a known issue?

I can't find any drums that will accept the wheel studs and the shoes are never the same size.

I feel like I need to start looking if someone replaced the rear differential/axle before I bought this truck or find a part number on the drum and search google but I would like to check here first.

I'm at my wits end, none of this adds up and I'm looking at plugging the rear brake lines at the master cylinder if I can't get the parts that will fit.

If any of you folks have run into this and can give me some part numbers or a place to start I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Not normal for a sportage.How it connected to the axle? Most drum manufactures have a casting , part or seize number cast into the drum. Try to retrieve that number and work backwards. I good parts store. should cross that number or goggle it. That info will handy when ordering parts in the future.
chief

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
I'm going to give you the OEM Kia part #'s try to have the parts store cross reference these #'s.
Brake drums, 0K040 26251
Brake shoes, 0K045 2638Z

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far guys!

I pulled the wheel to see if the part # was the same as what was posted here, mine have K040 26251 and on the other end of the drum K8B02C3. Also stamped is the max diameter which is 261.2mm.

I'll run a part # interchange search at work but I have a feeling I'll get the same results as I did searching by year model.

What's so strange is eveything other than the stud hole is a perfect match when it comes to aftermarket drums.

I'll go the junkyard route if I have to but I don't like getting parts that wear by design that are already used.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
Have you thought about drilled out the drum so the studs will fit?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you thought about drilled out the drum so the studs will fit?
The holes in the drums I'm getting aftermarket are actually too big, the stud falls all the way to the head and will spin freely with no friction between it and the drum. I have thought about getting M12 X 1.5 studs with a larger knolled shank but that would mean spending a long time pouring though parts bins and no guarantee that the parts I buy would do the job until I try to hammer them in. With steel on steel there I'm afraid there is little room to forgive any inability to "eyeball" the correct shank that I may have. :confused:

I'm sure though that I will figure this out, not many times in my past that I hit a wall and couldn't regroup, I'll be sure to post the findings for any in the future that have the same problem.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hey guys, 1998 Sportage RWD base model.

Everywhere I go to get the rear drums and shoes do not match what I have.

I first tried Pep Boys, the drums match dimension wise, but the wheel studs will not fit, the holes for the wheel studs in the drum are smooth, the OE drums are knolled so the studs press in. It seems every aftermarket drum the studs don't press into the drum, they press into the axle flange.

I've since tried 3 other companies, all the same result. The drums will not accept the wheel studs I have on my drums currently.

Also the shoes I have seen clearly are meant for a larger diameter drum than what I have.

Is this a known issue?

I can't find any drums that will accept the wheel studs and the shoes are never the same size.

I feel like I need to start looking if someone replaced the rear differential/axle before I bought this truck or find a part number on the drum and search google but I would like to check here first.

I'm at my wits end, none of this adds up and I'm looking at plugging the rear brake lines at the master cylinder if I can't get the parts that will fit.

If any of you folks have run into this and can give me some part numbers or a place to start I would greatly appreciate it!
The studs are knurled so they stay in the drum when "pressed" in - you need to insert the stud into the new drum, and hammer it home with a ball-peen hammer to properly seat it,

FYI & Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After reading your post above mine, I see the issue now..

This thread:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/66917-wheel-nuts.html

Post #6 may help,

Regards,
GottaCruise
I appreciate the effort but if I can't transfer the OEM studs I already have to the new drums buying more OEM studs will just mean I have twice as many studs that won't work. I think the problem here is the companies manufacturing drums for this year model didn't quite get it right, or they are all basing off the same incorrect specs for manufacturing purposes.

I'll have my local Kia Dealer order a set of drums and I'll pop out one of my current studs to see if they will snug in to their drums. If not I'm in for some serious "playing around"... :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts