Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
It's kinda pointless in my opinion. But it can be used if you are in a very steep hill environment. Other than that it's useless.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Wisconsin and many other states require brakes on a trailer if the loaded trailer weighs more than 3000 pounds (and on our cars I'd use trailer brakes for a much lighter trailer, 'cuz the car brakes are good but limited). If the trailer has electric brakes, a trailer brake controller is necessary to operate the brakes. Avoid the type of controllers that are time-based...these increase the braking effort the longer your foot is on the brakes. Get a proportional brake controller that increases the trailer braking effort relative to how hard you're braking the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wondering if someone know which wires to hook up to to operate the brake part and if its hard to fish wires thru the firewall?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD Black
3 Posts
Hi foxstoy, I've read on another thread here that the BLUE break controller wire goes to a YELLOW wire in the car's break switch in the 2012 Sorento Model.
Apparently Kia has changed the wiring from 2011 model to 2012 model, because in the 2011 Sorento there is no yellow wire there, it is a half-blue / half-black wire in the 2011.
I'm planning to also install a break controller in my 2011 Sorento, and am also wondering about the best way to get the wires through the firewall. I will post an update once I get it done.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento AWD EX-V6 Luxury
6 Posts
Hello, looking to install a brake controller and would like to know if there are some tips for this here...
How did u make this ? I have already installer the hitch with 4 pin cable last week.

Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You need a six or seven pin connector with trailer brakes:
Tail lights
Right signal & brake light
Left signal & brake light
Trailer brake power
Negative
12 volt + line for charging the trailer breakaway brake battery
Optional trailer back up lights

Buy only a trailer brake controller with proportional action. It will put the trailer brakes on harder when it detects more deceleration from the tow vehicle (and less braking with less deceleration). Do not get one of the controllers that increases the braking effort by the amount of time you're on the brakes--that never has made any sense nor worked very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Alter some research I find that Costco sail a brand Hushy Quest... and it looks good.
Husky Quest Brake Controller
After some call around here nobody has something better for this price, so I ordered it.

I should get it in a weeks or so and connect it in my car.

Also, I purchased the Hitch assembly kit from Kia and the 2" ball was too low for my trail tent, so I have to go get another mounting ball to lift it for 4 or 5 inch up... :(

Bye.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It should work well. Here are important points from the Husky web site:
"Advanced inertial accelerometer instantly activates brakes
Advanced proportional controller mirrors braking action of the tow vehicle"

The "ball mount" slides into the hitch receiver. The ball mount is available in various amounts of lift or drop to fit your trailer. While they look like they all drop, they can be put into the receiver the other way for lift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Looking at Canadian Tire, I found that they have a 4" 1/4 low cost "ball mount" Mastercraft...
I purchase it and it fit perfectly with my Tent trailer who has 13 inch wheel and got only 1 inch lower then the trailer ;)

Last week end, I have installed my power cable from the interior fuse compartment along the way of the chassis to the back of the car and let the cable in the little compartment for use when necessary with the 7 pin connector. (Take care of the plastic, I got to remove the foot step from the back passenger and it broken a little bit on the wall part plastic. nothing bad but the plastic was not very hard) Has everybody seems to say, low quality plastic here :( I was a little bit disappointed from KIA at this point.

Yesterday I've installed the power cable from the batteries to to fuse compartment in the car.
Today I will connect all the cable and fix the controller to the fuse door.

I wish I can give u some picture but, it look like this forum take only those from the web.... sorry.

Bye.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
Since this is back on top. A little update.

This past weekend I changed the trailer brakes. Once done and with the camper on the jack stands, I plugged the camper into the Sorento (2011). Trailer brakes locked! Hit the brake pedal, trailer brakes off! The shop that installed my brake controller tapped into the blue/black wire at the break switch (hot). After some testing, the green wire should be tapped. All is good now.

For the people that are asking, how didn't I notice before, the brakes on the camper were completely shot when I bought it. No lining left and magnets were finished.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok good to know. I was supposed to plug it all last day but it was too cold and dark.
I will finish this at the weekends.

Wow, and you were running with the brake on all the time. This is probably why the magnet was blow... should see you installer to get some $$$ back ?

Connecting to the cold break wire is a standard I think. He probably not tested it.
I will look at the same color first and testing it before making the connection.

Thank's for the advice !

·
Registered
506 Posts
No lining left and magnets were finished.
For those who don't know, electric trailer brakes are drum brakes. The brake shoes are pushed out against the drum by the force of an electromagnet dragging on the smooth inner face of the drum and working a lever that pushes the shoes out. The trailer brake controller sends a pulse width modulated voltage to the brake magnets--it is 12 volts rapidly switched on & off...longer on and shorter off gives more magnetic force. Almost all trailer brakes need to be manually adjusted for wear. Some people have the mistaken idea that the correct way to descend a steep grade is to activate only the trailer brakes. The result is worn out trailer brakes. Another result is overheated and failed trailer brakes that do nothing to stop the rig.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
Yeah, trailer was 10 years old when i bought last year. Original brakes. I discovered they were shot right after i bought it when i repacked the bearings.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In addition to the usual wear points of the brake linings and the drum inner rim, the face of the magnet and the inner face of the drum are wear points. It is usually cheaper to buy a "loaded backing plate" with new shoes and magnet than to buy the parts separately if both are needed. If the inner rim of the drum is scored, it can be resurfaced if enough material is left. If the inner face (where the magnet drags) is scored, it is often cheaper to buy a new drum--setting up the drum to resurface that face is time consuming and expensive for the machinist.

For the electric trailer brake wiring, do not trust running the negative circuit through the trailer chassis, nor through the tow vehicle chassis. And do not trust wire nuts for connections. Brakes are just too important. Run adequate sized wire (#12 is good) for both the positive and negative wires. Solder & heat shrink tubing or crimp connectors done right are best. Run the negative wire from the brakes, bonded to the chassis, to the 7-pin connector at the hitch, and then from the tow vehicle's 7-pin connector to the battery negative post. Never trust the tow ball for the ground connection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts