Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2.0L DOHC 4x4 Auto.... 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC 4x4 Auto.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the brake caliper rebuild kit such as this one on ebay for $20 - KIA SPORTAGE FRONT BRAKE CALIPER KIT 95 96 97 # KC-83006 | eBay

My wifes left brake caliper is leaking a small amount of fluid on her 98 sportage and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck rebuilding one. I ask because a new one is about $150 with postage and will take weeks to get here from the US. The rebuild kit is only cheap and can be here in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Straight forward / make sure your bleeder screw is working proper.
No rust or corrosion in the caliper and on the piston.
Reassemble with clean brake fluid.
Chief

·
Registered
20 Posts
better to buy new rotor with brake caliper kit and pads... actually cheap on ebay. Stock rotors may have rust and wear, while new rotors have holes (better as its cooler), and wont rust.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
70 Posts
the front brake caliper for the sporty is a single piston type. it's easy to rebuilt but be very careful if your sporty is fitted with ABS, don't let air go to the ABS valves cause you'll need a special tool to bleed it. after cleaning and installation, leave the bleed screw open so the fluid will fill the caliper drum till you'll see it dripping but make sure not to empty the reservoir so air won't go through the system. you'll only need the rubber piston seal and piston boot for each side.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts