Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here, so thanks for allowing me to join. We have a 2011 Sorento V6, 2WD, with approx. 271K miles on it. It's been a great car, but, not surprisingly considering the number of miles on it, it's starting to give us a few problems.

I recently had to replace the right front caliper, as it was sticking and had worn the inside pad completely to the metal (I couldn't even push the piston back in with a C-clamp, even though it was off the car). I ordered the only caliper and bracket assembly available from Advance Auto, as I didn't have time to wait for an online order to arrive. However, after assembling it, I realized that the mounting bracket isn't the correct one; it fits the bolt holes, and the caliper itself, but it causes the brake pads to sit at least half and inch too far "up" on the rotor, so only about 2/3 of the pad is actually touching the rotor.

I've checked all of the configurations (LX, EX, SX, V6 and 4-cyl) from Advance, but all use the same part. I also checked Rockauto, and they don't list different parts from the same manufacturer, so I'm stymied as to why this bracket doesn't fit (it looks as though it's made for a larger diameter rotor).

Any advice will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,489 Posts
How about just (re)using the factory bracket with the new caliper?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish I could, but I had already turned it in with the core, so I could get my deposit back. Otherwise that would be a great idea.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other question, somewhat related: my car doesn't have anything that designates whether it is an LX, EX, or SX, but since it is pretty much the base model, with only 18" factory rims and a roof rack as options, and since it is a V6, I'm guessing it's an LX? I'm sure it isn't an EX or SX, but it can't be just a Sorento since it has the V6. Do most LXs have "LX" on the hatch lid somewhere?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,489 Posts
You might want to give Advanced Auto a call to see if they still have your factory caliper, because it's possible they don't send cores back immediately.

But if your factory caliper is gone, try calling the tech support number of the manufacturer of the new caliper and explain what happened to you. If they're a quality outfit, they will make every effort to figure out why the bracket is wrong, and get the right one shipped out to you asap.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
178 Posts
As kiaguy002 said, go back to the parts store and see if they still have your core. Most stores have there cores picked up once a month, so depending on where the store is at in it monthly cycle, it may still be in the store.

For some reason I thought that the V6 had bigger brake rotors then the I4 had, but I could be wrong and may be think of a different vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts