Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first let me say this is my first post and I'm happy to have found a good forum!

I have a general observation of mine and 3 other 2000-2001 kia sportage convertibles that I have seen idling in different parking lots - the engines all sound like crap. Sometimes it sounds like there are marbles in the engine bouncing around. Sometimes there are just so many squeaks and whirrrs it sounds like the belts are about 50 years old. One morning I was very concerned and brought my car to a mechanic. When I got there, all the noises (except the belt noises) had stopped, so he thought I was just a lunatic. :blink: I would love to be able to go "oh my, sticky lifters" or something and at least know - but the sound always changes.

Anyone else had this? Thoughts? questions? comments?

I will be happy to share any advice or problems I have with other Kia owners - but up until now I am lucky, no problems!

·
Registered
349 Posts
A characteristic of the DOHC engine is a condition called "piston slap". When the engine is cold the pistons are loose in the bores and it makes a knocking sound until the engine warms up. It is exactly what you would normally hear in a diesel engine. I can't tell you why this gas engine makes the same noises but I can tell you that they all do it. And...it does not affect engine longevity. I have 119K miles on my engine and it's made those noises since day one. It has never gotten worse and the engine is fine. It never uses a drop of oil between changes.

Belt squeak is also very common. It's the power steering belt. You'll go nuts trying to get rid of it completely but you never will. And belt dressing will actually make it worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts