Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We bought our Borrego Limited in December with 83,500 miles to tow a Casita travel trailer that we purchased in November. We started camping late March. So far with have logged 20 nights camping and most recently a 12 day, 1900 mile trip, including towing in the mountains of PA and MD on I-68 that has some 6% grades. I am getting 12.5 to 14 mpg towing. I averaged 13 miles per gallon on the 1900 miles trip, but that included about 400 miles of non-towing (touring) miles. I tend to tow primarily in 4th gear at 55 to 60 mph. Impressed with the wide power band in 4th. Occasionally, would need to downshift to 3rd on the steepest grades. Also, hit some steep grades in PA, MD, WV, and KY when off the interstate.

Currently, we have 89,500 miles. Goes in for the first oil change and rotation tomorrow.

Plenty of power to tow our Casita (2,900 lbs before loaded). No problems.

Loving the Borrego.

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
58 Posts
How is the ride comfort-wise? I looked at the Borrego, but there weren't any after market strut shock-absorbers at that time. (Pretty rough rides, so I was sensitive to the users who complained about the rough ride.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi otodd,

Under most conditions I find the ride just fine measuring it in terms of being a truck, not a crossover. At times, it can be a little harsh. However, the Limited is far more luxurious than anything I could have expected for $12,000 and that is as capable as the Borrego in terms of towing, particularly with only 83,500 miles when we bought.

It rides like an '09 truck, but that is just fine with me.

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All,

We have now put 10,000 miles on The Borg since buying it in Dec, '15 with 83,500 miles. We have added three additional long weekend camping trips towing the Casita since my last post. I continue to get 13 mpg towing. All is well. I do have a few nit picky things, but to be expected with a 7 y/o vehicle:

1. A couple of the AC roof vents are broken.
2. The USB port does not work.
3. The jack to connect a device works poorly.
4. A couple of weeks ago, I started it and the check engine light kicked on and it ran very rough. I turned it off and restarted. The engine smoothed out and the check engine light kicked off. I took it to a trusted mechanic. He stated the diagnostic indicated a misfire on cylinders 1 and 3 and might be the coils. He said to continue to drive to see if it repeats. It has been as smooth as silk since then.

I continue to enjoy it as a very capable used tug to tow my Casita.

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All,

We are getting ready for our 2nd season of camping using The Borg as a tow. We purchased it with 83,500 miles in December, 2016. It currently has just over 96,000 miles about 15 months later. We used it to tow 4,000 miles in 2016. Did a great job. Beyond a couple of minor wear and tear issues and one misfire, it has been an outstanding SUV!

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

We have already started our third camping (towing) season for 2018. We did a 1,600 mile round trip, 17 day trip to Florida in January and just got back from a 720 mile round trip to Montgomery, AL. We towed 3,100 miles in 2017 (4,100 in 2016). Our cumulative towing since owning the Borrego will go over 10,000 miles after our April camping trip to the Smoky Mt National Park.

I continue to be impressed with the Borrego. Besides normal maintenance, our only mechanical issues since my last update were:

1. Replaced auxilllary cooling fan in August. The Borg would run hot at idle under load during the summer months. The auxiliary fan needed replacing. It did take awhile to get this part.

2. In January, I decided to have my mechanic replace two ignition coils and two spark plugs due to occasional misfiring. It was not a major problem, but to avoid a major problem while towing I decided to replace the two coils and plugs.

I am averaging 14.5 mpg towing a 2,900 lb small Casita travel trailer. My mileage has gone up from 13.5.

Still loving The Borg! Hoping to get at least 3 or more years of daily driving and towing from The Mighty Borg!

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks DeanCHS1980

Thanks Dean,

I appreciate the updates of your experience with your Borrego and Casita.

I just purchased a Borrego EX V6 to tow a Escape trailer that I felt would be to close to the maximum limit on my Sedona.

I feel better about the decision already. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, do you happen to remember what's the part number that you replaced when fixing the auxiliary fan? I have the same problem in my V8 (running hot when idling while towing). Also where did you get the part from? thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, do you happen to remember what's the part number that you replaced when fixing the auxiliary fan? I have the same problem in my V8 (running hot when idling while towing). Also where did you get the part from? thanks.
Hi Anicora,

I am of no help to you. My mechanic ordered the part and installed it. However, it took 4 to 6 weeks go get the part! That is the only time I have had to wait any more than a day or so on a part.

The rear differential fluid is not a “standard” oil and is a bit pricey as well.

Other than that, business as usual with The Borg! We have almost 120,000 miles on our’s. We have put 36,000 miles on it in the three years we have owned it, including nearly 12,000 miles towing.

Love it!

Happy New Year,

Dean

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Dean. I believe that this is the part that I need 97786-2j200, but the dealer is asking 500 bucks including labour, so I am trying to find a cheaper option hopefully.
Anyhow, I am also very pleased with my 130K EX V8 Borrego. I drove 25K in 2 years, and 50% if not more of that mileage comes from towing a 6,000 pound travel trailer across the country. In spite of some preventive maintenance and minor repairs I had to make, total cost of ownership (depreciation + maintenance + insurance + gas) is best in class for this type of vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dean. I believe that this is the part that I need 97786-2j200, but the dealer is asking 500 bucks including labour, so I am trying to find a cheaper option hopefully.
Anyhow, I am also very pleased with my 130K EX V8 Borrego. I drove 25K in 2 years, and 50% if not more of that mileage comes from towing a 6,000 pound travel trailer across the country. In spite of some preventive maintenance and minor repairs I had to make, total cost of ownership (depreciation + maintenance + insurance + gas) is best in class for this type of vehicle.
Hi anicora,

That sounds about right. Here is the breakdown for our replacing the auxiliary fan (9/6/17):

$265.91 - cooling fan
$36.69 - fan shroud
$188.00 - labor

$508.76 - total cost

We have 120,000 miles on our Borg. I have 4.5 years to retirement. At that point, we hope to travel extensively with a travel trailer and/or small motorhome. My goal is to properly maintain and use The Borg until then. I am guessing we will have about 175,000 miles on it by then. We have been very pleased with The Borg in terms of the price point (used), the quality, and the capability.

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replaced the fan and now the truck works beautifully.

For future reference, the part # is 977862J200.

I ordered at koraps, paid around $150 and paid another $150 in labour.

By doing this repair, I've got 2 problems solved:
1) It does not overheat anymore when towing (specially when idling and when reversing). Water temperature moves from 85-93 celsius.
2) The AC now blows very cold air, you can really the the difference while idling.

Next will be to replace a valve that is causing a small leak which throws P0456 every so ofter, I will probably replace it in a couple of months.
My Borrego is now at 202K Km, hope I can get another 200K!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the fan and now the truck works beautifully.

For future reference, the part # is 977862J200.

I ordered at koraps, paid around $150 and paid another $150 in labour.

By doing this repair, I've got 2 problems solved:
1) It does not overheat anymore when towing (specially when idling and when reversing). Water temperature moves from 85-93 celsius.
2) The AC now blows very cold air, you can really the the difference while idling.

Next will be to replace a valve that is causing a small leak which throws P0456 every so ofter, I will probably replace it in a couple of months.
My Borrego is now at 202K Km, hope I can get another 200K!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Hi anicora!

Looks like your fan fix is working beautifully and at a very reasonable price. Nice!

I recently hit 125,000 miles. Time for an oil change and tire rotation before our next camping trip in a couple of weeks. Still loving The Borg!

I have a good friend that bought a Borrego with 88,000 miles in March, 2017. He currently has 125,000 miles on his. Most of the miles are towing. He is retired and routinely towing his 3,800 lb trailer all over the eastern U.S. for 1 to 3 months at a time.

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts