Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Borrego 3.8L V8 with 140K in miles. I get in this morning to go to work and the car feels like it is stuck in a higher drive gear, or in a "limp mode". Put it in reverse and felt a bigger jolt than "normal". Bought this car used, so not sure as to if any recall work has been completed on it. Also I don't the funds to spend thousands on a new transmission.

Any ideas or solutions would be great.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Welcome to the forum, but where are you located on planet Earth(?) Filling in the rest of your profile info. will be very helpful in further postings.
That said, at age and mileage a trans filter and fluid change won't hurt any and probably HELP.
Do you have any Check Engine Light(CEL) or also called Malfunction Indicator Light(MIL) illuminated on the dash?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, but where are you located on planet Earth(?) Filling in the rest of your profile info. will be very helpful in further postings.
That said, at age and mileage a trans filter and fluid change won't hurt any and probably HELP.
Do you have any Check Engine Light(CEL) or also called Malfunction Indicator Light(MIL) illuminated on the dash?
No check engin lights, only light on the dash is a TPMS

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If NO CEL(MIL), it is not likely to be a "limp mode" issue. "RECALL" work is not normal maintenance, I understand you bought it used, but how long have you had it, and have you done any of the normal maintenance it should have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If NO CEL(MIL), it is not likely to be a "limp mode" issue. "RECALL" work is not normal maintenance, I understand you bought it used, but how long have you had it, and have you done any of the normal maintenance it should have?
Just the typical oil change every 3,000 miles, once it hit 100K in miles,I started using the high mileage oil. no other maintenance though besides brakes, and ac compressor twice. Had the vehicle since 2013. Only reason I brought up the recalls was I thought I read somewhere that there was a recall on something to do with the transmission on these vehicles. I know recalls are not normal maintenance.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Have the trans. oil and filter replaced, and see what happens. I do not recommend "flush and fill", as it will NOT clear the filter which is the pick up point for oil into the trans.
There are a number of sites that by plugging in your VIN it will show any open recalls, if that is what you're looking for. Usually if a shift solenoid problem you will get a CEL and be able to pull a code(s), of which I think there MAY have been a recall or TSB about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks... I'll hopefully be able to get that fixed this week and hopefully that will fix the issue. I did check it right before I left the house again and it seems to be working okay however I'm not driving the car yet until I get the transmission fixed

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thanks... I'll hopefully be able to get that fixed this week and hopefully that will fix the issue. I did check it right before I left the house again and it seems to be working okay however I'm not driving the car yet until I get the transmission fixed
Hope things work out for the trans. concern for you. BUT are you the same person as the original poster of this thread?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
MIA KIA 09
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing