Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While filling the gas tank of my Borrego, the pump will click and gas bubbles back out spilling on me, the vehicle and the ground. The tank is never close to being full. It's very frustrating and I can only put small amounts of gas in most of the time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
spiders...

Seriously! most of the time if someone has this problem with a vehicle, it is spiders. There is a vent line that runs from the tank to the filler, if that is plugged by anything (spiderwebs/carcasses) then the venting won't happen, and filling becomes nearly impossible. Get a piece of 'mechanics' wire and make a sharp hook at the end. Push that down into the vent and pull it back out to fish whatever is in there out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Ltd has had this problem since i got it - especially when the tank is very low. When i start filling - within about the first $5 in - it will gurgle and spitback. From then on, I have to literaly fill it with short pulses of fuel.

Had it in to the dealer in late 2010 - they replaced a couple of sensors - but it didnt help.

Just dropped it off tonight for the same thing - see what the dealer comes up with this.

(if you search this forum, you'll find my original thread, as well as other comments regarding this issue)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem. Took it to the dealer twice, and they fixed it the second time. This seems like a pretty common problem on the Borrego. The good news that once I had it fixed, it was fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had my Borrego LTD back to the dealer today for the FUEL SPITBACK issue. This was the 2nd time it was in the dealership for the same issue - and this time they simply replaced the entire fuel tank.

Have to see how it acts during the next few fill ups, but I topped off today and it seemed fine, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last Sept, 2010, my kia went in for the exact same problems as posted in this forum with the gas/fuel tank line. First they replaced the canister. That didn't solve the problem, went back and had a new tank assembly and canister valve. Pumping gas worked great after that ......until this Sept. and the exact same thing is happening. Took it in last week and they replaced the filter and the exact same canister valve as last year. Now they aren't sure what to do. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
521 Posts
There may not be a fix for it, although it's strange that it worked fine for a while after the tank replacement, and went back to being a pain.

My friend's Soul starts gurgling and shooting out gas at around 10 gallons from completely empty. I hand-modulate the nozzle and can get another 3-4 gallons in at a slow pace. Not sure what causes it, but hers has been that way since brand new.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a new Borrego and Im having the same problem with the first click and fuel pouring down the side of the vehical. Anyone figure out what the problem is?

Thanks
Steve69

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. I first notice on a long road trip. Stopped to fill up and gas pump kept shutting office. The whole trip I had to fight it to get gas into it. Then as the months went on when I would fill it up, the pump would shut off, and gas would gurgle out and down the side of the vehicle. I finally took it in to the dealer and they told me that I had damaged it by over filling the tank. They said it was the charcoal canister and had gotten full of gas. And, that I would have to pay around $500 to replace the canister, filter, and control valve. Further, they said if I didn't get it fixed, the gas in the canister would dissolve the charcoal and get sucked into the injectors. Talk about a scare tactic. I complained to the customer complaint line and to the dealer. The CSM finally told me to NOT top off the tank when filling up for about 2 months. I did this and it solved the problem. This was about a year ago. The other day the tank was low and I filled up and the pump shut off. When I turned the key on the gas gauge indicated only 3/4 full. I think the important thing here is NEVER add more gas after it shuts off. I think it has something to do with the heat and gas fume expansion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts