Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:blush: OK Here goes: My '02 Rio had a catastrophic failure. The dealer said my timing belt broke. Because my wife didn't bring it in to get changed @60,000 there is no warrantee coverage. @ 75,000 now. I tore the head off and dicovered that the belt was NOT broken, but the nubs were shaved off at one of the cams. (rearward one to be exact) Otherwise the belt looked pretty good. Now here is my Question: Could a broken valve have caused this? Because the belt was shaved bare right at the cam sprocket and that is where I found it, not elsewhere in the rotation. I may be out of my mind, but it seems the belt stopped and the cam sprocket continued to move and shaved off the nubs; there and only there. Is this how these belts fail? a nubless area about 4" long while the rest of the belt looks good? I must say this seems to be a clever way for Kia to avoid warranteeing thier engines. Which is why we chose the Kia in the first place! This car is a commuter which travels 110 miles per day. On the freeway, as a matter of fact, the brakes are still at 80%. The engine oil still amber after 5,000 miles ( synthetic, changed every 5,000 miles) Everything on the car is in perfect shape except the timing belt. Some feedback on this would be VERY appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Im betting that the belt may be the cause.
if it shredded and skipped teeth and make timing off (interference motor) then that is why there is valve damage. Im assuming so from what I read.

I dont think it is a scheme with kia though. I myself of my sephia have over 120000 miles or original belt and looks just fine.
although ive had problems with my other belts. mainly the acc belt shedding.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts