Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully simple question.
Wife has a 2008 Spectra EX. Looking to add fog lamps to it (factory switch/wires not required), and noticed that there is a higher model sedan (SX) with a different looking facade was made that the fog lamps mount nicely into. If I was able to find one at a local scrap yard would the panels from the fancier looking model fit the EX with little or no modification? I'm assuming the trunk lid with the spoiler is the same too.

I guess a more detailed question is this: If I picked up an SX front bumper, would it require both front side fenders or different headlamp mounts/headlamps? Or is it more like the Chevy Cavalier/LS Sport, where it's 100% asthetics with regards to the bumpers lower lines?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
The bumper covers are the same for the LX/EX/SX...The difference is in the lower shroud and the holes punched into the bumper cover to mount the shroud.
The fenders are the same... There is a lower trim piece that runs from lower front fender to lower rear fender on both sides and another shroud on the lower rear bumper cover on the SX and the Spec5. There are holes needed to be drilled and retaining clips to be installed..
Headlights are the same also.
The fog lamps mount into the front bumper cover after clipping out the dummy plate... The mounting studs (plastic molded into the back) are all ready there.
The wiring to the lamps and the switch to turn them on is not there and the wiring harness on a non "fog" model does not have the needed wiring to interface with the OEM switches and lamps. You are on your own on the wiring.
The spoiler will mount on a "stock" trunk lid but holes will need to be drilled into it and again wiring...Be sure to get the lift pistons also from the SX as the original pistons won't handle the extra weight of the spoiler.
The interior of the SX/Spec5 is slightly different also. The trim around the shifter and the radio/heat area is a "chrome" plate instead of black/tan/gray plastic and there is a "dead" pedal of stainless steel and the gas/brake petals have stainless trim... If the SX in the yard is a manual tranny...Get the front tower strut also (missing on LX/EX/and SX Automatics).
I put my SX back together from salvage so I have a good idea of what's involved in the appearence parts.. The lower shroud is missing on just about every SX/Spec5 I have seen as they scrape the ground going up driveways...The car looks fine without it.
Dave

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bumper covers are the same for the LX/EX/SX...The difference is in the lower shroud and the holes punched into the bumper cover to mount the shroud.
The fenders are the same... There is a lower trim piece that runs from lower front fender to lower rear fender on both sides and another shroud on the lower rear bumper cover on the SX and the Spec5. There are holes needed to be drilled and retaining clips to be installed..
Headlights are the same also.
The fog lamps mount into the front bumper cover after clipping out the dummy plate... The mounting studs (plastic molded into the back) are all ready there.
The wiring to the lamps and the switch to turn them on is not there and the wiring harness on a non "fog" model does not have the needed wiring to interface with the OEM switches and lamps. You are on your own on the wiring.
The spoiler will mount on a "stock" trunk lid but holes will need to be drilled into it and again wiring...Be sure to get the lift pistons also from the SX as the original pistons won't handle the extra weight of the spoiler.
The interior of the SX/Spec5 is slightly different also. The trim around the shifter and the radio/heat area is a "chrome" plate instead of black/tan/gray plastic and there is a "dead" pedal of stainless steel and the gas/brake petals have stainless trim... If the SX in the yard is a manual tranny...Get the front tower strut also (missing on LX/EX/and SX Automatics).
I put my SX back together from salvage so I have a good idea of what's involved in the appearence parts.. The lower shroud is missing on just about every SX/Spec5 I have seen as they scrape the ground going up driveways...The car looks fine without it.
Dave
I wasn't aware of the strut tower bar even being a "stock" option, that would be a nice addition for the way the wife drives it. I was just going to grab a silver SX trunklid with the wing already on it, and it's good to know the stock struts won't hold things up. That would have been a sad suprise for me. I don't think I'll worry about the lower shroud on the bumper then, unless I can find a whole bumper that is undamaged and matches. Just adds a little personality to it, especially since her last car was the LS-Sport, and it just stood out, while not drawing a lot of undue attention. We're good without the stainless steel trim accents, she actually hates how it looks in my Sorento.

The fog lamps, can you recommend a place to pick up the stock mounting ones? I'm good with the electrical part of things, and a "stock" switch isn't a necessity. Was actually going to wire them into a 2way relay that would turn them on with the parking lights, and off when the highs come on. Perfectly legal in PA with that configuration, and no "switch" to have to worry about, unless I want it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
My 06 Spectra SX is an automatic (no say on a used/salvage car).. The manual versions came with the strut brace. Cobra259 got me a beautiful red aluminum KIA branded one along with a replacement chrome trim piece that mounts on the bottom of the hood. Mine was starting to look shabby from the elements.
Mark (Cobra259) can get you pieces/parts to mount the trim and "extras" like OEM oil filters. The fog light assemblies you can get from ebay or off that SX in the yard.. The lenses get pitted from road stones but hare really hard to see up close that far down on the bumper cover so used should be OK.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts