Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the boat out for the first time with the new 2012 Sorento (6 cyl FWD). The boat package is about 2100lbs (16.5 foot aluminum fishing boat with 90hp 2 stroke). When trying to pull the trailer out of the water at the launch, I had a lot of front tire spin and was lucky to get it out. The launch was gravel and typical of the cottage lakes I like to access. My previous 6 cyl Ford Windstar had no trouble with this.

No problems on the highway - towed easy.

Any similar experiences and suggestions?

I will be trying to launch in 2nd gear next time. Also, will be tinkering with tongue weight to take some weight off rear end. I also read that the downhill assist may be useful. I'm going to discuss with KIA.

In hindsight, I wish I'd bought the AWD.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
Was you Ford Windstar a RWD vehicle, I believe those were RWD and if so would make them much more suitable for towing in this situation than a FWD like your Sorento. I don't have a good suggestion for improving this but perhaps those with more experience towing can help.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,720 Posts
Tires, Tires, will make the differance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Windstar was a FWD - it had less horsepower which might have made it harder to spin the tires.

Thanks for the suggestion about tires. I will look into it.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,720 Posts
Name brand, all season's.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
isn't the 2012 only rated for 1500lbs? Or am I mistaken? I am really interested in this because I have a boat and wanted to use my Sore to tow it with.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
If I was going to be launching and retrieving boats, I think I'd opt for AWD. When those ramps are wet or covered with gravel, it can be a real bear with a FWD vehicle.

Best,

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
The V6 is rated at 3500 lbs towing capacity.
as per the manual and my sales rep repeatedly told me (when i asked to install the towing package)
it's 3500 lbs minus whatever load is already inside or on top of the truck

so it's approximately less than 3200 lbs for the average male, plus any misscellaneous content in the car, including the spare tire, and any extra accessories or luggage / liquid you might be carrying at the moment

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
It's going to be hard to retreive a trailer with a boat on it on any incline using only a FWD vehicle, particulary when the launch area is wet. Aggressive grip tires will help somewhat and slow initial retrieve works best with a long easy slope. But pure phyics overrides most ideas. Any problems and you can get stuck. Know your launch site and make sure that there are no underwater humps in the direct path of your launch/retreive. Make sure all the water is out of the bildge of your boat before pulling. Best would have been to get an AWD if you had plans of using the SUV to do almost any sort of heavy trailering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've now had a chance to do some more boat retrievel with V6 FWD. Concrete ramps have not been a problem at all although they have been well maintained with a gentle grade and not covered in algae. Being gentle with the gas pedal and launching in 2nd gear has helped a lot. Will be trying the cottage gravel ramps in the coming weeks and will let you know how it goes. My tire tire shop is suggesting I go with the Kumho KL61 Road Venture but I'm not going to fork out money until I'm sure I need them. My boat is relatively light - 16.5 foot Aluminum fish and ski (2000 lbs or thereabouts). I'm more optimistic now that my problems may not be as bad as I first thought. Do I wish I had bought the AWD - absolutely.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
You'll probably be ok on your retreives by doing what you said- go slow and easy. You really don't have a heavy load. Also may want to try reducing air pressure in your front tires if you feel the launch area is more diffficult. The standard issue tires will probably do just as well as the more expensive ones and will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happy to report that boat retrieval has not been much of a problem. The trick is to go SLOW and steady on the gas pedal, especially on gravel. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts