Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 2012 LX V6 in August 2012. Has premium package (navigation). I have a old Razer V3, a newer Z221, and a Nokia 920 phone. All three are paired but no matter which one I have with me, when I get in the car I have to MANUALLY connect it most of the time. My 2010 Nissan Maxima connects everytime I get in the car. Took it to the dealer here in Dallas they said the V3 was to old, got the Z221 took it back and now they say that the Nav software is by Microsoft and its Microsoft's problem. By the way, each time I took it in the service rep said the fix was to re-boot the NAV by sticking a paperclip or pin into the small hole top left of the unit. This did absolutely nothing for the connectivity issue except make the service guy feel like he knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I'm pretty sure the navigation package is not Microsoft, just the UVO package. A lot of people have this problem (though, maybe only 25% of the time or so), and from what I read about the latest update it's not any better than mine, but since yours is an older version it may help. Good luck, hope you find a solution :-/

·
Registered
2015 Kia Cadenza SXL, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi V8, 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6
48 Posts
Bought a new 2012 LX V6 in August 2012. Has premium package (navigation). I have a old Razer V3, a newer Z221, and a Nokia 920 phone. All three are paired but no matter which one I have with me, when I get in the car I have to MANUALLY connect it most of the time. My 2010 Nissan Maxima connects everytime I get in the car. Took it to the dealer here in Dallas they said the V3 was to old, got the Z221 took it back and now they say that the Nav software is by Microsoft and its Microsoft's problem. By the way, each time I took it in the service rep said the fix was to re-boot the NAV by sticking a paperclip or pin into the small hole top left of the unit. This did absolutely nothing for the connectivity issue except make the service guy feel like he knew what he was talking about.
First of all, your service guy is feeding up a line of BS. The Infinity premium sound/navigation system has no Microsoft components in it whatsoever. Only the UVO system is Microsoft. So, rule that out as they don't know what they are talking about.

I have a 2012 SX with Navigation that has the very same issue you are describing. I to have been to my dealer/service department with the very same complaint about BT connectivity issues...yet I am using an iPhone 5. I have had the very same general runaround from the service guys...all they can seem to say is incompatible phone (it's not), stick the pin in to reset the system, manually connect, the BT won't connect if your actvely receving an email (that last one is actually listed in their BT tips on the Kia website believe it or not), etc.

What I have found is this...

In reading the Digital Navigation Sytem Users Manual that came with the car, chapter 1, page 7....states; "system booting starts from the time the door lock is unlocked and may complete booting before the ACC is turned on".

I have found that this "booting" of the system is directly tied to the BT connectivity and whether or not it makes the connection reliably, or if the phone has to be manually connected.

If I approach the car, and unlock it as I'm approaching...giving an elapsed time of 30 seconds or more before I actually crank the car (giving the system time to boot), the BT connects each and every time without fail! However, on the flip side, if I unlock the car and immediately crank it (as the vast majority of us do), the BT connection is NEVER made 99% of the time! Weird I know...

I have been over this with my dealer/service department several times, and demonstrated this to them exactly as I have described here. Yet they still deny there is any issue at all.

Even the base non-UVO, non-Infinity Sorento radio with BT in any rentals I have driven is 100% reliable on its connections. I don't get it...especially since the Infinity Radio w/Navigation is supposed to be Kia's "upgraded" radio.

My 2 cents on the issue...

·
Registered
183 Posts
The timing is an interesting observation, WCH. I use the keyless entry almost exclusively so I almost always unlock/open the car then start the car as I'm putting my seatbelt on so I'll try to keep that in mind and maybe wait a few second before starting the car.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Cadenza SXL, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi V8, 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6
48 Posts
The timing is an interesting observation, WCH. I use the keyless entry almost exclusively so I almost always unlock/open the car then start the car as I'm putting my seatbelt on so I'll try to keep that in mind and maybe wait a few second before starting the car.
Yeah it's odd indeed! It's got to have something to do with that boot time. I just wish they'd own up to it, or at least do a little more in depth analysis.

It's really irritating at times...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with the timing. Since first purchased I pretty much unlock via the door handle, sit down, step on the brake and hit the starter. Maybe 10-15 seconds. And I always had a feeling that I was to fast for the generation one uProcessor on board. Even better is when I do this really fast and the KIA window comes up on the NAV screen and does not go away for about a minute and a half.

How about the door locks. In my Nissan when I get out, as I am exiting I press the door locks button and go on. Not with this Sorento. I have to be outside the car and reaching backwards before the doors will lock by pressing the inside door lock button. Same service guy said I really need to get out, close the door and press the outside button to lock. Thats when I left and have not been back.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A lot of cars don't lock if you use the drivers side lock just after stopping the engine and opening the door if they are equipped w/ a keyless system. It's an attempt to try to prevent people from locking their keys in the car. Try double pressing the lock button, that usually bypasses the "feature".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts