Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently at 74,000 miles. Did the whole recall test at the Kia dealer by draining the oil and testing for metal shavings. Told me it was fine.

Still nervous. Anyone actually have the engine blown?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard of a few that passed the recall test and engine still went out. Not much need to worry though, they've extended the warranty to 15 years and unlimited mileage if the engine goes out due to a metal shavings problem. And that's for original owner, 2nd owner, 3rd owner, etc etc.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Currently at 74,000 miles. Did the whole recall test at the Kia dealer by draining the oil and testing for metal shavings. Told me it was fine.

Still nervous. Anyone actually have the engine blown?
Your 2015 isn't covered by the recall so I'm surprised the dealer even did the test. You should have no reason to worry. The recall was prompted by a manufacturing problem that left metal shavings in the oil passages but was corrected before your engine was built.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Testing for shavings is likely a crap shoot IMO. If you're changing your oil often and enough miles on it you've probably already flushed a lot of the debris out of the engine.

I could be wrong but my head is thinking that way. Either snagged in the filter or flushed in previous drain outs. I always run and heat the engine before I do an oil change so everything is lubricated and suspended in the oil mix before draining. There is always a short duration of no oil pumping while the engine first refills the oil filter to get to full flow as well.

Thinking out loud....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Testing for shavings is likely a crap shoot IMO. If you're changing your oil often and enough miles on it you've probably already flushed a lot of the debris out of the engine.

I could be wrong but my head is thinking that way. Either snagged in the filter or flushed in previous drain outs. I always run and heat the engine before I do an oil change so everything is lubricated and suspended in the oil mix before draining. There is always a short duration of no oil pumping while the engine first refills the oil filter to get to full flow as well.

Thinking out loud....
I agree. If it's at 74,000, and it passed the test, and it's had regular oil changes to this point, you're probably ok. Any shavings that may have been in there have been flushed out by now. Alot of the engine failures due to the shavings issue were happening prior to 50,000 with some being prior to 30,000. And yes, the recall was for 2012-2014 Sorento's so if you have a 2015 I too am surprised they even did the test/inspection. You can rest easy my fellow Sorento owner.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have two 7 seaters in the family. Neither has a 4 cylinder engine. It no place for them in an SUV this size IMO. Although the build date don't match the production window when it was a problem. Those that had shaving and even flushed out etc likely already have damage caused even though they're no longer detected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Kia that I purchased in October 2014. In January of 2017 I was driving my car when all of a sudden it just stopped, when I tried starting it, there was a loud banging noise like the engine had a bunch of loose parts inside of it. I made it to my house (a block from home, luckily) and had it towed to the Kia dealer where it was purchased and was told my engine froze and was basically dead . The first thing the service manager asked me was where I had my car serviced because it was probably something they did. Well I told him, I have always had my car serviced by them! I did my research and I found out that many 2015 Kia Sorento's have 2014 engines, (there is a recall on this engine due to potential metal shavings in the oil). He also asked me if I had my car serviced regularly because not having it serviced could have caused the problem (which I always made sure I had it serviced when it was due). My engine light never went on, and when I had a major service check which cost me $350 in August 2016, nothing showed any issues.
Apparently this engine fail can happen to a brand new Sorento with 200 miles, or one with 120,000 miles and anywhere in between. (mine had 74,000mi). After consulting with the main Kia in Korea to make sure my engine was one of the recalls, they replaced my engine, with no cost to me and gave me a rental since it took them 6 weeks to replace it. (I found out at the car rental place that they had dozens of customers from that Kia dealership because many were also having their car engines replaced).
Luckily my brother had told me when I purchased my car to always have my car serviced at the dealership where I purchased it, that way in case I ever had a problem with my car, the dealership would not be able to blame it on someone who wasn't an authorized "Kia certified mechanic". I haven't had any other problems with my Sorento since the engine replacement. I now have 118,000 miles on my car, but in reality only 44,000 miles on the new engine!! I guess they don't reset the odometer back to 0?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 Sorento had the 2.4L brick issue. Had 103,xxx miles when we bought it on memorial day. Less than 400 miles later and suddenly driving at 40 MpH it sounded like the starter momentarily engaged and felt a bump and noticed i was coasting. Won the fight with AutoNation (used car seller) to get them to send to KIA. KIA was Great about it... put up no resistance. Offered a loaner car. I don't know if the fact that at 40,000 it was a KIA certified used car had anything to do with it? CarFax showed it had reasonable oil change history and had been to a dealer several times. The engine replacement looks like they did a real detailed job. All the little clips and details appear as if it never came out. This car with a free new engine :D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
cheaptick
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing