Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Spec 5 that would have intermintant no blower on any speed setting. Found a bad connection at the blower resistor plug, and when I pulled the plug out, it was partially melted with damage to the wire insulation! The question is would this be a problem with the resistor or the blower motor?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
My wife's 07 Spectra does not have a resistor mounted in the blower cage. It has a FET (Field Effect Transistor). My 06 Spectra does have the resistor mounted in the same place... You might want to check what you really have. Both are available at the KIA dealership.

The amount of time you are in the car and the amount of time the blower has been run directly effects the life of the blower motors... They are a "SEALED" design and have carbon brushes that WILL wear out eventually...
Blower motors are easily available on ebay (type in "2007 Spectra blower motor) for $50 or less with shipping NEW to your door.

The plastic frame of the plug melted because of a bad connection between the metal connection in the plug and the metal connection on the resistor socket. This causes heat that melts the plastic. This can become an ongoing problem as the plug on the end of the wire now has corrosion on the metal from it overheating and the resistor does too... It would be better to find a new plug end and replace the resistor...that way neither has corrosion. Best place for both is a local bone yard.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dave. Will check the local boneyards since the plug only seems to come as a complete harness and the resistor/FET is about $90.00 new from Kia.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Check with your local bone yard...They may have one close to crushing (all the good parts gone) that they may allow you to get the plug with say 4" of wire attached. Then cut the old one off and match the wire colors and splice the replacement in..
Always CHECK with the yard owners BEFORE removing anything..They WILL respect your caring...

I have a few yards that have known me over the years and they will allow me to search for parts...I then give them the yard's car number and they then OK me pulling the part(s) on specific cars... It saves them the labor to pull parts and I buy more impulse items (Knobs/nuts/bolts/appearance items) that they normally let go to the crusher. ASK them about their policies and if they give you some extra help or parts...slip them a $5.00 for beer... You will be remembered next time!
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts