Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Rio and 2002 Sante Fe
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed that my blower motor was not running while I had it set on number 2. I played around a bit and found that everything is fine on 1 and 4, but the blower does not come on on 2 and 3. Is this probably a switch problem or is there some resistor in the system that is not working properly?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Because it's working on 1&4 the voltage dropping resistor is probably OK... I'd be looking for bad(melted) resistor plug,switch plug, or bad switch...
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Do what dave say's check your resistor unit and also the switch assembly they have been known to melt/burn up. Good luck with it http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for service materials and schematics.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio sedan Manual 4cyl.
18 Posts
Still trouble shooting P0300 misfire issues on another thread with the help of this forum. Thanks...
Once problem is discovered-the next thing on my list is the temp control switch. This is going to be expensive. Got an estimate for about $450 to replace.

Background info-got heat-got cool but won't blow into the cab until I press in temp control knob. Used to work if I could get the knob out of position between 3-4-no longer works. Sure I've melted contacts doing that.

Anyone know anything different than taking out the dash to replace the switch/harness?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
I'd suggest finding a mechanic that works for a lot less and/or go to kiatechinfo.com and register...
Most of these things you can do with info, parts, and a little help...

The switch and possibly the plug (with wires) that connects to them can be gotten at a local salvage/bone yard for much less than at the dealer... Make sure you have them cut the wires a few inches back from the plug so you have room to splice them..

"If" the plug (connector) is melted also... cut the wires close to the bad (melted) connector (one at a time) and splice the connector from the salvage yard onto the old wires...Match the color(s) on the wires and work "one by one" so you don't get confused... Do not have the ignition on while working on the wires so you won't blow the blower motor fuse...

This sure can't be a $400 repair ...more like a $30~50 one...
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts