Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Sedona EX. From time to time, when I turn on the heat and hit the button to make it blow hot air to my legs/floor, it sends like maybe 20% hot air where it should be going but 80% is diverted to the windshield vents and it feels like somebody is sticking a heat gun on my eyes. Even though the indicator is set for the floor and NOT the floor/windshield, I'm getting a LOT of hot air coming out of the windshield vents.

Naturally, when I took it to the dealer and the service tech set the blower for the floor, there was NO air coming from the windshield vents and it acted like it was supposed to. He said that it might be some setting that if the temperature outside is below a certain point, the car will automatically divert heat towards the windshield. I told him that if that's the case, that's the first car I've ever owned that did that. I've never had a car push air out a vent it wasn't instructed to.

He said he'd note it in my account and if it happens again, bring it back but if it doesn't act up when I'm there, they won't replace anything. So, is there something I can replace on my own or is this a known issue and can be fixed by manipulating the environmental controls in a certain way? I replace all the air filters on a regular basis so I know that's not the problem.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
86 Posts
Could be related to pp. 4-184 through 4-186 of the Owner's Manual, "Defogging Logic." (Oh, if ONLY we could defog some ppl's "logic"!)

I'd copy/paste it, but the manual is p/w protected. Download it here.
Page 4-185 explains how to activate or cancel the "auto defogging system."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be related to pp. 4-184 through 4-186 of the Owner's Manual, "Defogging Logic." (Oh, if ONLY we could defog some ppl's "logic"!)

I'd copy/paste it, but the manual is p/w protected. Download it here.
Page 4-185 explains how to activate or cancel the "auto defogging system."
We have a winner!!!! I know, I know.....next time, RTFM. I guess this is what my wife and I get for driving a 15+ year old car and then upgrading to a modern, fancy like automobile! She drives the Sedona 99% of the time and after driving it for a few days, I asked if me turning off ADS fixed everything and she said, "YES!".

But, I noticed that there is still a tiny bit of air that blows up from the vents under the windshield when the floor is selected. However, it's nowhere near as bad as it use to be now with ADS off but at least it isn't drying our eyes out anymore.

Thank you for the fix! I wonder why the technician at the dealership didn't mention the ADS?! Although, I wonder why I didn't just RTFM? :)

In either case, problem solved.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
86 Posts
No worries: I am regularly befuddled by how to turn the interior lights on or off or sync them w/the doors etc. I went from a 2004 Mazda MPV (which I loved) to, as you say, "a modern, fancy like automobile." Luckily, I like reading manuals. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts