Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage Ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2011 Sportage and my blower motor only comes on in the morning. All speeds work fine but when I start my car a little later the fan doesn't work. I'm thinking that it's the resistor because the fan seems to work fine when it does come on.
Any solutions or answers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,157 Posts
I have 2011 Sportage and my blower motor only comes on in the morning. All speeds work fine but when I start my car a little later the fan doesn't work. ....
So what you described above happens the same way, every day that you use the vehicle? How long ago did it start happening?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If the blower doesn't run on the high setting, then the problem is not the resistor. Likely suspects are the motor or relay, and there have also been accounts of melted switches and connectors, likely cause by those parts not capable of carrying the required current.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage Ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blower does run from low to high when it's working. It just doesn't seen to be as strong as normal. I'm going to take it apart today and see what I got. If it's not the motor, would it more likely be the relay or the resistor?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You can do some testing without taking anything apart, other than the connectors. You said the motor doesn't run at all if you do a warm restart on the vehicle. How about if you just move the key to the ON position - does it also not run that way (without starting the engine)?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage Ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know but I'll try that. The fan did run all morning without a problem. I had the A/C on with the fan on high and after about an hour the fan got a little stronger. It is very intermittent, that confuses me more.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage Ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried what you suggested but I don't think I had a problem with the fan today. I got in my car and drive 10 times today and the fan worked for me all day. Out of 4 days this is the 1st normal day.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It's nearly impossible to diagnose the problem if it can't be duplicated when you want to check it. So it would be best to just hold up the diagnosis until it's happening more often and consistently.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage Ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, thanks for your help. I drive the car three times today and no problem with the fan. I'll keep you up to date.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts