Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 2U AT silver
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I discovered something interesting worth sharing with others.
Took our Soul in for scheduled maintenance service this morning.
While waiting, I went out to the sales lot and snooped at new Kia Souls.
The dealership had a whole bunch of them including some in their compound which I checked out too.
On some of the NEW 2013 Kia Souls, the block heater chord is located at the bottom of the front grill (actually the colour keyed or black bumper) opening attached with a clip and cable tie.
GREAT IDEA!
While some others, including our Soul; has the cord inside mounted beside the battery thus having the cord exit out the front under the hood.
The problem with having the block heater cord hanging down outside the front of the hood is the potential for scratching and marring the paint.
So when I got home, I re-routed the block heater cord from at the top exit to the better location at the bottom of the grill opening.
It's a little bit of fun to fish (re-direct) the cord from the top position to the bottom position but it can be done.
Don't wear a watch when attempting this mavouver so that it doesn't get caught on anything.
Once I got the cord relocated to the bottom, I used a couple of cable ties to fasten it securely.
It worked!
If others are interested, check out the improved bottom location on some of the NEW Kia Souls.
Definitely a better idea.
For those that don't need or have to use a block heater cord; please ignore my tip.
In case anyone is wondering, it is April 15 and it is snowing here.
Winter just won't go away.

Cheers. GotSoul

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 2U AT silver
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention that you will have to cut one or two cable ties with a pair of side cutter pliers before redirecting the block heater cord from the top postion to the bottom position.
Small hands would help too, if you have them!

Cheers. GotSoul

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
Block heater is dealer installed, used them when we lived in Alberta but since returning to this part of southern Ontario, not had any need for one.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
For those that don't need or have to use a block heater cord; please ignore my tip.
In case anyone is wondering, it is April 15 and it is snowing here.
Winter just won't go away.

Cheers. GotSoul
-Obviously that's global warming kicking in!

I only know about block heaters because I had a friend who lived in Canada for a while. As far as I can tell, they are just about unknown in Australia, although we do have isolated places that can get very cold (-20ºC) in Winter. It's likely that emergency vehicles in these areas have block heaters or are stored in heated garages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need block heater for 2013 Kia Soul

I am going to cold Canada at the end of January and don't have a block heater. My Kia dealer in Chicago says it does not supply the service. What now?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
I am going to cold Canada at the end of January and don't have a block heater. My Kia dealer in Chicago says it does not supply the service. What now?
where in Canada, its a big country and for how long. I don't have a block heater and I'm in "cold Canada" :D - the temperature and the weather doesn't sudden change the moment you cross the border :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts