Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I have found a big difference in BSD system between American and Canadian model.

American model has "Rear cross traffic alert (RCTA)" : see third figure and text in the picture below

Canadian model does not have this function : see the figure and text in the picture below

Can you people can confirm you have this function or not depending you have an American or Canadian Sorento ?

I have a Canadian one and confirm that the RCTA function is missing.

Do somone would have an explaination of this difference ?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
I have an American SX and I don't believe we have RCTA either. I have been backing out of a spot several times and never received a warning when another vehicle was approaching.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL, 2010 Infiniti G37S
14 Posts
I have an American SX and I don't believe we have RCTA either. I have been backing out of a spot several times and never received a warning when another vehicle was approaching.
Really? I have the limited and every morning when i back up from my house, it alerts me that a car is coming from a far away. Looks like it works for me

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL, 2010 Infiniti G37S
14 Posts
So when you back up and a car is coming behind you, you dont get a beeping warning sound? I get that to warn me when a car is approaching behind me

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
27 Posts
Sorry, maybe I didn't understand correctly. I do have sensors on the back bumper for backing up that will give a beeping alarm as I get close to an object. My mistake

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
27 Posts
I looked at my manual, and my blind spot detection system is like your second picture down. No cross traffic

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
our BSD beeps and on the speedometer shows why its beeping ie which corner is causing the beep.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Pretty sure that's the rear park assist you're hearing and seeing on the speedo display. The BSD has no info on the speedo...just the lights on the mirrors and a beep when you signal while a light is on.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty sure that's the rear park assist you're hearing and seeing on the speedo display. The BSD has no info on the speedo...just the lights on the mirrors and a beep when you signal while a light is on.
The rear park assist and the BSD detection are based on the same sensors found on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The rear park assist and the BSD detection are based on the same sensors found on the rear bumper.
That is incorrect. If you check the manual or other info on the kgis site you'll find that the BSD uses a separate much larger radar system in the sides/corner of the bumper, not the small circular sensor for the back up sensing system.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is incorrect. If you check the manual or other info on the kgis site you'll find that the BSD uses a separate much larger radar system in the sides/corner of the bumper, not the small circular sensor for the back up sensing system.
My mistake. You are right. I've checked the manual.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Has anyone else had a chance to see if they have functioning rear cross traffic alert?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my Kia Sorento in Atlanta, Georgia, in April of 2013. My manual does NOT show that the vehicle has the Rear Cross Traffic Alert feature. It only lists the Blind Spot Detection and the Lane Change Assist features.

However, about two weeks ago I was in a shopping center parking lot and when I put my car into reverse to back out of the space the alarm went off. I looked in my rear view display and saw a person pushing a shopping cart past my car. They were some distance away so they were not in the warning zone of the Rear Parking Assist system.

So possibly I actually do have the Rear Cross Traffic Alert feature, even though it is not listed in my owner's manual. I will need to another test.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX with Touring
4 Posts
Ok, I have a silly question. On the 2014 Kia Sorento EX, is the blind spot detection system ON or OFF when the dash light is lit? I have read the manual, and asked others, and it isn't clear to us. Is the Blind spot detection on or off when the light on the dash is lit? When I push the button, the light comes on and so does the side mirror icon, so we are not sure if it is telling us it is on or off! and, What IS the default for the BSD when starting the car? LOL I know, told ya it was a silly question.

Has anyone figured out whether we actually have RCT or not? Not listed in my manual, but I have both BSD and Rear Parking assist.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It is on when the light is on, off when the light is off. It always remains in the setting you have it. The button on the center console for the rear park sensors turns those off (light on), and it is on (light off) every time you start the car.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX with Touring
4 Posts
Thank you!! The rear park sensor light being off when on contributed to my confusion.. I wrongly assumed that the BSD would be the same way..

This is the first Kia I have owned and I LOVE IT, but still learning some of the quirks, being I have only had it about a month...

Thank you again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts