Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to change out a "blown" brake line on my '03 Sedona EX. It actually looks more like it had been cut, though.

Problem is that now my bleeders are rounded over (rear drums).

Anyone have a clue if the rear drums have the same size bleeder screws as the front calipers?

Here's the old "blown" line that I took out. It's the rear passenger side. Already have new line installed.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,379 Posts
Front caliper bleeders are much larger and different shaped than rear wheel cylinder bleeder screws...sorry.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I can get new screws, but the old ones are rounded over and seized up. Tried wire brush to get rust off, vice grips rounded it more, extractor socket chewed them more too. Any tips?

I don't have any torch and don't have much room to work if that's the only option.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
IF you have a propane torch head, get a bottle of MAP gas(it is hotter than propane), and the flame is pretty well concentrated to that "confined" area.
I've also "sacrificed" a good (but smaller size) 6 point socket and hammered it onto such bleeder screws to get them loosened LAST RESORT is to replace the whole wheel cylinder and from the looks of your pic...the line too!
GOOD LUCK! ;)

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like wheels cylinders aren't too costly, may just change them out and do new hardware in there too.

How much problem will I run in to due to my parking brake is failed? By failed I mean the cables rusted and snapped off just by the wheels.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Looks like wheels cylinders aren't too costly, may just change them out and do new hardware in there too.

How much problem will I run in to due to my parking brake is failed? By failed I mean the cables rusted and snapped off just by the wheels.
That depends entirely on your skills and "ingenuity" for the task. As you are finding out on an older and rusty vehicle, things don't disassemble easily like a NEW CAR.

Reactions: JustinP526

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts

I would just replace the cylinders. They are easy to do and not expensive.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just debating if I should go ahead and do the shoes, hardware kit (springs and all) and the parking brake cables. That should fix it all up in one go.

Thanks very much to all on this one!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
What maint history do you know of of this ride? IF they were recently done, you may get away with hardware and cylinders. IF you want to do EVERYTHING in one "fell swoop", Check out rockauto.com for brake kits and seperate cables. I've found them the most reliable and cost effective to work with.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last records that show (via carfax) are back in 2013. Biggest problem records I seen were in 2006 when cv axle boots were replaced numerous times and the engine was replaced. I'm assuming timing belt snapped, but may look into that. I got new cv axles in since right side snapped a few months ago and then left side started leaking grease last month.

I know I also need to still do valve cover gaskets since those are starting to leak. And going to have a good local shop do a new flex pipe on exhaust since it snapped as well just passed the y-pipe.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the bleeders to crack open and bled all 4. The line I replaced was the right rear. Goes fron the hose over to the wheel cylinder. Looks like it may have come out of the clip that holds it in place then got sheared open by the shock mount.

Master cylinder reservoir looks to be full (can see fluid up the filler neck), yet the brake pedal still has a bit more travel then it should. No warning lights or chimes though.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Rear drum brakes may be out of adjustment. May end up having to pull off the drums to free up and lube the so called "automatic adjusters"......

Reactions: JustinP526

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little bit of light local driving got the auto adjusters to kick in. Pedal pressure is sufficient and not seeing any real problems.

I'll still order up some new cylinders and hardware kit to get it all up to spec along with replacing my front rotors and pads. Front right rotor has a bit of gouging due to a failed wheel bearing (rollers flew put on road), and there was some damage to other components. ABS atonement ring slammed into sensor and sheared it off. New CV axle on that side now so just need to replace the sensor.

Thanks much for all the tips everyone!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Sounds like you've still got quite a bit of work ahead of you, Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, that's for sure! I'll be changing out left CV axle and both inner and out tie rods and lower control arms soon. Ball joints are shot, front passenger wheel sits too positive cambered and it pulls to the right. No problem, should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts
LOL, that's for sure! I'll be changing out left CV axle and both inner and out tie rods and lower control arms soon. Ball joints are shot, front passenger wheel sits too positive cambered and it pulls to the right. No problem, should be an easy fix.
I've done all except for CV axle. They are straight forward stuff but you will need a 1/2 breaker bar or a good impact wrench for those big bolts on the control arms. Good luck.

And let us know how the CV axle job went for you.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I'm just going to order new wheel cylinders, hardware kit and shoes soon. When I rebuild the rear drum brakes, how important is it to change out the back plates if they're rusting through? Anywhere I can get new ones?

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts
So I'm just going to order new wheel cylinders, hardware kit and shoes soon. When I rebuild the rear drum brakes, how important is it to change out the back plates if they're rusting through? Anywhere I can get new ones?
No, can't find the plates. Car is so old, no use searching for them. Just ignore it, I did. Can't be helped. I just took them off. I don't think they are critical for the function of the car.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I mean the round plate that goes behind the drum. Seems pretty necessary since the cylinders and hardware all bolts onto said plate. Especially the pivot pins that hold the shoes in place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts