Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
How much does an analysis like that cost? I might be interested in having one done.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
$25. Blackstone's one of a few that do these. They've been the most user-friendly and they ship the containers to you free.

I do these at 2nd oil change to get a baseline, then halfway thru warranty, then when I sell to show the engine's good. Hopefully never to chase an engine problem. Some fleets use these to stretch out time between oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
Daddy-O...
I see you're just north of me...
I wonder if the oil being black has to do with it being a GDI engine?
What oil are you using? I have an 06 Spectra 2.0L with under 40k on it and the oil when changed is a little darker than new (Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w30).
Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd like to see the analysis of unused oil as a reference point.
Sure, if someone would like to pass around the collection plate. It would be interesting, but the analysis signature would be applicable only to that brand oil. So most everyone would have to cough up $25 and do their own.

DavesSpectra: I'm on Massillon Rd just on the other side of CAK. And I'm using Castrol GTX 5w20 dino. Just can't say whats up with the blackness. Using a KIA filter too.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
The black oil is a normal characteristic of the GDI. I am somewhat familiar with the GM direct injection engines and they do the same thing.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sure, if someone would like to pass around the collection plate. It would be interesting, but the analysis signature would be applicable only to that brand oil. So most everyone would have to cough up $25 and do their own.
More than interesting, it's absolutely vital to get a starting point for each oil, otherwise you're likely to be wasting money unless there's gross engine failure.

A single analysis might be OK for blood biochemistry, for example, because there are well established "normal" values for blood constituents. This is not the case for engine oil, as each manufacturer has their own ideas. Even with blood analysis, repeated measurements are far more informative than an isolated set of results.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes....but... I've always thought the above oil analysis as more of an 'engine' analysis. It is checking first for elements in the oil that may be suggesting wear, and then is compared to known values of the Gamma they have on file.

Later, the oil itself is analyzed for viscosity, etc.

But if one can, send some virgin stock in for analysis too. Heck, I bet they already have it done and on file.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The black oil is a normal characteristic of the GDI. I am somewhat familiar with the GM direct injection engines and they do the same thing.
Well, there it is.

One thing I was glad to see was no fuel in the oil suggesting the GDI was washing down the cylinder walls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts