Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Mineral Silver 2015 Kia Sportage SX-TURBO!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ahoy Shipmates!

After a severe accident with my 3-Month Old 2012 Kia Soul last year ($10K in Repairs...), it just wasn't the same afterwards. Too many Rattles and Noises, that weren't there before. After 9 Months of Paperwork, the other Driver's Insurance paid us enough of a Settlement, that I was able to pay off my car.

So, on May 10th, I traded it for my New Sportage. I've been installing some Graphics, as I have done with many of my former cars, and finally finished my Project today. Here are some Pics, along with a list of Upgrades I've done to it:

Model: EX

Factory Installed Add-Ons:

- Nav Package (Backup Camera, Backup Sensors, etc.)
- EX Premier Package (Leather, Dual Climate Control, Heated & Cooled Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, Spoiler, Side Rails, etc.)
- Interior Lighting
- Cooling Glove Box
- Power Driver's Seat
- Folding Mirrors

Upgrades:

- Had Dealer Remove Side Rails today. They are too thin to be of any real use, and get in the way when Entering/Exiting.
- Hood Deflector
- Mud Guards
- Hitch Kit
- Graphics
- Clear Bra
- Thick & Wide Steering Wheel Cover
- Locking Spline Lug Nuts
- All Weather Floor Mats
- Bike Rack Hitch Bar
- Cargo Carpet Mat
- Upper Body Side Graphics
- Rocker Panel Side Graphics
- Hood Graphics
- Tailgate Graphics
- Flag Graphics

After working on it over the weekend, here is the finished product:

Pics Continued on Next Post!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Blackbeard's 2013 Sportage EX, Graphics Install with Pics, CONT.

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
Welcome from Soul to Sportage! That's a lot of graphics! I like the ones on the side just below the window the best. IMO, the tailgate looks a little busy and doesn't follow any body lines, but what matters most is if you're happy with the look. It's certainly unique! :)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Too much going on in terms of the graphics and stickers. The sides and front are SOOOO bad, but the back end is so busy.

You sailors are so crazy!

j/k

Glad you're enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO, the tailgate looks a little busy and doesn't follow any body lines.
1.) The sides and front are SOOOO bad,
2.) but the back end is so busy.
3.) You sailors are so crazy!
Thanks for the Feedback!

With regards to the Tailgate looking too busy, yeah, I'd have to agree there, now that I've got some pics to look at and can critique my work. It looks like I threw some Leftover Decal Scraps on there, just to fill a Void, doesn't it? I had been looking at that, even when I installed it. I was scratching my head then, and wondered about a Do-Over, at the time.

FWIW, HERE..... is what I was going for, compared to what I got, but.....

the Graphic Kit was the same one I put on my '12 Soul, as you can see. However, the Soul's Tailgate was Flat in the Center, whereas the Sportage's was Curvy, as you can tell, hence the Oddball Pattern. The Stripes made their own pattern, as they followed the Body's Curves.

Now that I've got a couple of more sets of eyes, telling me what I was already thinking, that's definitely going to be a Do-Over. I've got a couple of other Non-Busy Designs in mind, and will check those out tomorrow.

ILLJIM69! Curious, but your Comment above, #1, when you say, "BAD"... as in "GOOD-BAD", or "BAD-BAD"?

Regarding #3, YES..... we Sailor's are in fact CRAZY! Too much Salt Air and Empty Horizon's will do that, after a few Deployments!

Thanks again for the inputs!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I mean that they don't look terrible. The side stripes below the windows are not my cup of tea but they aren't crazy looking. The ones near the bottom of the doors are overkill IMO. The hood I am on the fence about.

The rear, as stated, is too much. Plus the Soul has a flat hatch, so keeping the graphics straight might be easier than on the curved Sportage.

The good thing about vinyl is that you can always peel it off. :)

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
The back stickers break the look, not matching body design. The sides are nice and the hood looks ok, it could use maybe some breaks near the windshield like the sides are designed.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
sorry Blackbeard but I would have to agree with others, the back has just got too much on it, even worse when they are not straight. If you squint your eyes and look at the back, it looks more like a tiger nose, that's suppose to be reserve for the front end :D

I would say get rid of the back stripes. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about this? I used MS Paint to Mod some possible changes. Removed the SPORTAGE EX Decal from the Top of the Tailgate, and split up SPORTAGE and EX on the Left & Right Sides of the Tailgate, just below the Tail Lights. Better? Worse?

Thanks!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
How about this? I used MS Paint to Mod some possible changes. Removed the SPORTAGE EX Decal from the Top of the Tailgate, and split up SPORTAGE and EX on the Left & Right Sides of the Tailgate, just below the Tail Lights. Better? Worse?
BB
get rid of all the stripes, hard to see but unless Sportage and EX is OEM, get rid of it too, the tailgate is just too busy and all those decals around the rear tailgate glass don't help either :)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Yeah, no stripes at all is the way to go. And put the badges back to where they were (or take them off completely). I don't understand the graphics to be honest, the car has clean lines, no need to muddy them up, there are other ways to make the car "your own".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts