Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorrento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My black trim around all my windows is all spotted, splotchy and looks stained..I wash and dry the car regular and first day I had it waxed it with Maguires NXT I did not get any of the wax on this trim.. On the trim I use eagle one which is cool to use on plastic.I had a PT cruiser before that had black pillar bars that I had to wipe with eagle one daily to keep waterspots off but this looks different.
Is anyone else having this problem?? It looks nasty!! I am taking it in for an oil change and tire rotation next week and I will have the dealer look at it.. Just got the car June 29 and am not happy that this trim looks like this..Just curious if anyone else has any feedback..
Sue

·
Banned
417 Posts
I have a 2003 LX and I have noticed the trim fading and not staying dark. I also noticed the steps on rear bumper fading from dark to white. Seems the material does not hold up to direct sun. I have tried with little success the use of Armorall and plastic shine. The trim just returns to faded condition. Let us know what your dealer says about this problem. I for one don't think I want my trip replaced by the dealer as it might not work and could become a lot worse by causing more damage then repair.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The black part is just a sticker, so if you wanted to you could remove it. Armorall is not the product to use to "re-black" the trim. You need to get something called bumper black, or the like. I'm not sure who makes it, but it works good for about 6 months. Your autoparts store should know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Top Tip ........ I use black shoe polish on the black rubber stuff such as mudflaps, back bumper pad etc. Lasts for ages ..... and its cheap.
Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use Meguiers(sp?) Back to Black...it works pretty good for about 4-6 months, depending on time of the year and how many times I wash the car..

I used it on my POS VW Passat...I ahve yet to need it on my new Sorento...

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX, 04 Sebring. 98 Ranger
104 Posts
kIAMECH, I think they are talking about the black rubber trim around the windows.

A couple of things here the rubber will dry out because of the UV. Try using a uv protectant such as 303 Protectant which is made to help rejuevenate rubber and plastic. You can buy it online or at most good RV/Boat stores as it was developed for their use but auto owners are starting to use more and more. It will not leave an oily surface as armorall will.
As far as the back step pad, mine turned light gray after a while and it looked bad. I purchased Forever Black which is an automotive plastic enhancer, basically a black dye made for auto trim. It looks like a shoe polish applicator. I trimmed off the bumper with 3M tape and covered the step plate with 3 light coats. Its been 6 months and it looks better than when it was new. It comes with a cleaner as well. I bought it online through AutoSport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts