Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I got the Black Paint Pens from kiatoday they told me how to use it, They told me to wash the car
Then use the paint pento cover the car scratch but now the paint you can see there was a scratch morethan before you see the paint line if you know what I’m talking about.
I used the paint penafter 1h I did the 2 part do I have to let it dry much longer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is how it look like now, it look like **** is there a why i can fix this or do i get kia to fix it the car is 6 weeks old and has this **** on it now. is this pen **** or i didnt do it right?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
well looking at your pictures it needs to be painted. i have used an outfit that comes to your house and will touch up scratches and you cant tell there was a scratch and maybe you might have an outfit like that in your area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a pen recently, the guy said it was like a "Bingo Marker" so be careful.

What I did was dab it onto some chips on my grill, wait about 10 minutes for it harden a little in the sun, and then I used a rag to rub the excess off. Looked great, although the paint was a touch thin... ended up doing it about 3 times.

The clear coat is really tricky though. Dries really fast and once it does there's no fixing it up like I did with the paint. Thankfully I only did three little dabs before I learned that lesson.

The paint I touched up looks great, you can barely tell it was touched up. Maybe if the paint you put down isn't too hard you could try buffing it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
You need to buff it with a good quality buffer.

BUT, those pens are not for big marks like your using it on. From the looks of you pics, that is way to big to be using a pen. Its for hairline scratches, at best a light key mark. Looks like you tried using it on a scuff, which will not work on.

Fill hairline or key scratch, then buff smooth after it dries.

wait about 10 minutes for it harden a little in the sun, and then I used a rag to rub the excess off.
OMG NO!!! You cant "rub off" the excess paint. With a pen, there should not be "excess" paint. Besides, you can't rub wetish paint with a rag, all you do is smear it and it ends up looking like the above.
maybe you started on a small scratch unlike what I mentioned above, but smearing it like you did made it worse.

now if you want to fix it, it will need to be sanded off totally, primed, painted, sanded, painted, sanded, until it is "blended" to look like you did not just paint that little part of it. Then cleared, wet sanded, done. Its gonna cost a lot for that mistake.

Or redo the whole bumper.

Ouch, that was an expensive paint pen :)

·
Registered
2011 KIA Soul 2U 2.0 litre 5-speed manual 18" tires
17 Posts
I find that there are a couple of tools for this. The dealer marker is a bit of a pain to work with but if you get a tooth pick and dip it on the end of the marker, it make for a much finer working application.

If you are lucky enough to get a small bottle of matching paint, you can mix it up with a bit of clear / light wax and apply it that way.

Or buy something like the Meguiar's scratch-x remover and try that.

You should invest in a good dual speed polisher though if you plan on getting into that kind of work.

Or pay a pro-detailer to see if they can pull it out for you. It's cheaper then a body shop.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You simply won't get the type of result that you see on "Scratch Removal" TV Ads. It looks to me as though the video is being run in reverse in some ads (i.e. deliberately adding a scratch), or the lighting is being manipulated during the "repair".

If you have a defect where the original paint has been scratched away, only a miracle will restore the surface to its original appearance. The best you can expect is a touch-up with matching paint in a non-conspicuous area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts