Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
audi a3 quattro kia ceed sr7 petrol
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( took my wife to the vets the other day, well not just the wife one of our cats too and for the first time heard a strange knocking noise from under the car.i think its coming from the back but my wife thinks its from the front,seems to happen only on slightly uneven surfaces could it be a stabilser bar?, any ideas would be most welcome.
if it is an issue with the stabliser bar and if i do have any issues with the warranty anybody have any ideas about cost?
cheers everyone.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
99% sure to be drop links. Ive had mine replaced twice under warranty in 40k miles.

Its a known problem and theres shouldnt be any issue with it being done under warranty if this is what it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99% sure to be drop links. Ive had mine replaced twice under warranty in 40k miles.

Its a known problem and theres shouldnt be any issue with it being done under warranty if this is what it is.
:mellow:thks ayjay, my cars just covered 21000 miles so sounds like they dont last to long, is it a big job how long was your car in the garage??

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
:mellow:thks ayjay, my cars just covered 21000 miles so sounds like they dont last to long, is it a big job how long was your car in the garage??
Cant remember how long when they did it the first time but i have a feeling it was only a couple of hours and i doubt the car was actually being worked on the whole time they had it. The second time it was done during a service and the whole thing was only a day.

My first ones were replaced at 15k miles.

Its a relatively minor job. When i had mine done the second time the dealer said that Kia have known about the issue for some time and they always make sure they have them in stock!

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Does it feel/drive any different with iffy drop links?

My pro_ feels a bit 'squirrelly' on the rear at moment, but I haven't noticed a knocking.
Pumped up all tyres last weekend & still feels odd, not loose or bangy at all, just spongy.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
When the drop links go you WILL notice banging! Theres a couple of bumpy bends on my commute and if im driving "enthusiastically" its very noticeable. When theyre replaced it does sharpen things up a little but that may well be just a perceived improvement cos youre expecting it to be better!

Can you describe "Squirrelly?" I must admit i love that saying, i remember when Kevin Schwantz first came out with it to describe his evil handling RGV500 in GPs in the early 90s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the drop links go you WILL notice banging! Theres a couple of bumpy bends on my commute and if im driving "enthusiastically" its very noticeable. When theyre replaced it does sharpen things up a little but that may well be just a perceived improvement cos youre expecting it to be better!

Can you describe "Squirrelly?" I must admit i love that saying, i remember when Kevin Schwantz first came out with it to describe his evil handling RGV500 in GPs in the early 90s.
thanks again ayjay for your info, its off to the kia garage then!!:(
"squirrelly" i think thats the same feeling the car gives you when your driving home from the pub;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

My pro_ feels a bit 'squirrelly' on the rear at moment, but I haven't noticed a knocking.
Pumped up all tyres last weekend & still feels odd, not loose or bangy at all, just spongy.
car feels fine to drive to be honest, holds the road and corners with lots of confidence in wet and dry conditions, its just this knocking noise you get over uneven surfaces, so if your not getting any knocking noises it wont be your drop links,if its feeling "squirrelly" i would consider increasing the amount you drink before leaving the pub!!lol:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

it feels and drives with confidence in both wet and dry conditions to be honest with you, its just a knocking noise you get on uneven surfaces ,worse when driving slowly on slightly bumpy surfaces perfect on smooth road.
the only time i used to get a spongy type of feel was when i drove a skoda octavia vrs and that was down to tyre pressure because it was very different even within a couple of bars of pressure.:)

·
Registered
863 Posts
AyJay; I think a tuned Suzuki Gamma is the perfect definition of Squirrelly mate :D

In this case, my pro feels kinda wobbly; like the rear end's shifting sideways during 'enthusiastic cornering' but not giving away or losing traction at all.
Pumping the tyres up to 34PSI all round improved the situation quite a bit but it's still iffy.

btw, all tyres were at 37PSI when I collected the car! Ok within the max recommended 38, but still freakin high. Recommended 32psi is awful spongey, where 34 used to feel perfect.

ps @ Laurence; Thanks for the PC & Non-PC suggestions mate :lol:
Completely agree with 2nd reply though, I'll check the tyre pressures again as that really does make difference.

Cheers :nahrung034:

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
I run my Ceed Eco 2 at 35 psi This has Michelin Energy Saver tyres fitted as standard. Everytime it goes for a service it comes back at 32psi.

The extra 3psi adds about 5mpg on average.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
863 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one, am also on the stock Michelin Energy Saver tyres.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts