Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I am a single Mom and my daughter and I ride bikes a lot. Is there a bike rack that anyone could recommend that doesn't require a hitch? I can't afford to pay for a hitch. KIA wants over $500 for the installation of a Class 1 hitch. Ridiculous! I need a back mounted one because there's no way I can get bikes on the roof by myself, that isn't going to work. The bikes are getting ruined by shoving them in the back of my KIA on top of each other, so I would really like to get a rack I can use.

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage
17 Posts
I bought a brand new Curt class III 2" hitch on eBay for $115. I put it on myself. There's only four bolts to secure the hitch, and it can be done without having to removing any parts from the vehicle. I would imagine you have a brother or uncle who could bolt the hitch to your Sportage. I don't think it took me 10 minutes to open the box, get some tools, and tighten it into place. Only a moron would pay $500 for installation of a hitch from a dealer. It didn't cost me $500 for my hitch and bike rack (Thule T2).

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX; 2016 Sorento EX
36 Posts
I wanted cheap/easy as possible too. I decided to not get a strap on rack because of potential for damage (paint and body work,also if the wiper gets turned on while the rack is in place).

I got this hitch for my 2011 http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-13066-Class-Receiver/dp/B004C6TYGO. $105 + free shipping, took 4 bolts to put it in.

After that you can get any old 2" receiver bike rack and roll with it. I grabbed an Allen 3 bike mount for $70 also from Amazon. There are basic hitch racks available at Walmart and Target for under $100 as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts