Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a PSA since I searched for this sort of information when we were looking for a new car earlier this year. My husband and I are serious triathletes and were looking for a long haul vehicle in which we could fit two bikes upright inside. We test drove the Sorento, Equinox, CR-V, Mazda5, etc. The Sorento was the only vehicle to meet this criteria, and thankfully, it was our favorite for all sorts of reasons. We've loved the Sorento and in just a few months have driven many hours in the rain with our beloved and expensive bikes safe and sound inside, while most of our teammates's bikes suffer the elements outside.

I hope all the keywords work!

We bought the 2013 Sorento with NO optional third row seat. Using the storage well created by the absence of the third row seat (the extra 8-10" are necessary, though we have an inch or two booster at the bottom of the well - necessary for making the angles work), my husband and I can fit two bikes inside. This works for our 51/56cm road bikes and tri-bikes - including seat post bottle cages, upright. The front wheel is the only thing that needs to be removed. We keep a board in the well with two permanently installed front fork mounts that we place near the front seats when we need to carry the bikes. Since my bike is shorter, each mount is placed in a slightly different place on the board.

I'm adding some specific search terms & phrases - hope it helps in finding this information!

bike inside car
bike upright inside
triathlon bike inside
tri-bike inside
road bike upright
road bike inside

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento I4 FWD 6Spd, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6Spd
118 Posts
Photos of fork mounts with and w/o bikes would be nice...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
yeah..I'd love to see a pic of this. I carry my bike inside my car sometimes, but I end up putting it on its side.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
to put all the bikes inside i'll have to fold down the 2 rows of back seats

if i remove the front wheels or use my folding bikes, then i can put them in just by folding down only the 3rd row seat

in any case, i find it more efficient to put them on a Thule hitch outside of the SUV than inside

so, at least i can sit 6~7 comfortably, the luggage will go on the roof

my alternative for camping / outdoor trips, if i don't do any of the above, is to actually rent a trailer then dump everything on the trailer including the bikes, then we can all sit comfortably inside and take all the bikes we want, and all the camping gear we want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts