Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage EX 2011 Model, Toyota Starlet GT Turbo 1995 Model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a set of after market rims for my 2011 EX Sportage. I know it comes with 18" biggest from factory and i know some people have put 20" rims on theirs.

I was thinking of trying out 22" rims. Is that too much? Let me know what i need to watch out for.

I am also after a tow bar including a 50mm ball. Can you please recommend an affordable one which ships internationally?

cheers,

Perreau

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage LX AWD
35 Posts
I'm not a fan at all of putting larger rims on cars in general, just not my taste. If you want to get an idea of how 22" rims will look then check out this link. http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/77453-why-22s-instead-20-s-wheels.html Look at how small the brakes look with those monster truck wheels on it. I personally hate the look. I think the 18" wheels on the EX/SX is all the bigger I would go. It is mostly personal preference though.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Here's a video of a Sportage on 22" rims:

A member posted this video last year, but I couldn't find the post...it was easier to find it on YouTube.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
And we can put the Sportage on the very long list of vehicles that look stupid with big wheels.

OP you aren't going to have much rubber between the wheel and the road, which can be a problem in terms of denting the wheel and ride quality (as if these cars ride like Cadillacs to begin with). Plus you will be slower, handle worse, steering will be off a little and depending on tire size, you might have some rubbing issues.

Personally I wouldn't do it, the 18" size fits this vehicle well, but then again it is a personal preference and I don't watch too many rap videos. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the comments. I guess as u said its just a matter of different tastes.

I have my other car on 17" rims when the stock should be 14" and it looks like this:

I have now lowered the car and it looks way cooler.

The reason i asked for opinions is because i do not want to look stupid on 22s, but looking at the pics and vids u guys shared, i think it looks good. I would prefer it lowered a bit though. Can i lower the Sportage? Is there a place i can buy lowering springs for it?

Any advise on the tow bar?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I think someone makes lowering springs for it, it was discussed on here, but I can't recall the company name. Google it, I am sure it will pop up.

That said, I personally think it is a big mistake to go messing with the suspension geometry as well as slapping giant gangsta wheels on. Not only will performance (in all aspects) suffer, but so will fuel economy and safety (to a certain degree). Not to mention you can kiss any warranty claims goodbye, I can almost assure you that any dealer will most likely deny any powertrain claim due to the wheels alone.

But hey, your money man, have at it. Good luck. Sorry I can't think of anything with the tow bar BTW.

Oh and I think you would adore a little trend that has been going on in a few countries called "hella flush" or "stanced". ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip. I will most probably go for 20" rims biggest. Hella Flush is more JDM :) Not really my style though ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts