Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
- Push Button Start is really fast (I've tried all sorts of other ones now, and most seem sluggish by comparison.. push.... hold.... hold... vroom *finally)

- Shifting in the automatic is so smooth (sometimes I swear I'm driving a CVT)

- Bluetooth function works really well, clear too (I find many other systems pretty glitchy)

- Cooled glovebox has actually come in handy! (fish anyone?)

- Red Auto Climate Control panel perfectly legible in direct bright sunlight (the color shifts a bit, but still very distinct... bravo)

- Comfort. Even with the sport tuned SX, I still find the ride quite compliant, noise & rattle free. Color me impressed.

- Automatic rain sensing wipers actually worked brilliantly for me one day when it was "spitting" intermittently (I was skeptical, but not anymore)

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
- Push Button Start is really fast (I've tried all sorts of other ones now, and most seem sluggish by comparison.. push.... hold.... hold... vroom *finally)

- Shifting in the automatic is so smooth (sometimes I swear I'm driving a CVT)

- Bluetooth function works really well, clear too (I find many other systems pretty glitchy)

- Cooled glovebox has actually come in handy! (fish anyone?)

- Red Auto Climate Control panel perfectly legible in direct bright sunlight (the color shifts a bit, but still very distinct... bravo)

- Comfort. Even with the sport tuned SX, I still find the ride quite compliant, noise & rattle free. Color me impressed.

- Automatic rain sensing wipers actually worked brilliantly for me one day when it was "spitting" intermittently (I was skeptical, but not anymore)
Since I have the EX model, can't go with you for most of the points but Bluetooth, smooth automatic, soft ride, no wind noise, love the steering wheel feeling, quite competent AC, perfect backup camera, trouble free voice command with the UVO and of course the incredibly beautiful styling.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
ROGUEPC I have a 2013 SX sedan & agree with 6 out of your 7 likes.I find the ride to be a little busy & tyre noise is not great on grainy or coarse pavement.But back to what I like. I REALLY like the Auto Climate Control especially the way it moves the airflow around from first your Feet,then to the Dash & Feet & finally all at your Face depending on temperature:D .I also am impressed with the build quality.Got to do something about that low passenger's seat though:mad:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
Gear box-Engine mating (6speed manual)

Almost perfect in the Kia. Geared to get the most of the engine and no having to do voodoo magic to get the thing to do what you want it to do. Like most cars there is bit of slip in momentum from 1st-2nd but the rest is perfect. Rarely ever find the Kia struggle to pick itself up from bad gear set ups.

Traction Control Systems

Traction control systems non intrusive. You dont even notice its happening until the squiggly lines come up. Other car traction control is best summed up as a 2year old chucking itself on the floor kicking and screaming. It wont let you do SFA until its done having its little tantrum

Drivetrain loss

Very little drivetrain loss in the little Kia. Completely useless info for anyone not going down the performance path but for people that do it is very hard to find cars that have very low drivetrain losses. Either that or Kia fudged the official numbers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I refuse to list any negatives here (there's some other threads around that cater to that). I think we can all agree that the Kia has a lot of positives, but we just don't list them often (especially after owning the car for a while).

So, you can add build quality to my list. It's definitely a big step above the competition - this does NOT feel like the typical econobox. For once, making a choice in this segment doesn't feel like a step backwards.

For instance, I just noticed the nice soft touch door panel where the window & lock controls are... huh, nice. Didn't realize it was a better quality plastic.

Plus, while waiting for my girlfriend one day - I put my finger between the top of the door panel - bottom of the window (where it rises... closer to the side mirror) ... and it's felt lined! Really? On the backside? Nobody would ever notice this (and it's such a small thing), but I give it to Kia for their great attention to detail.

And those gauges... those gauges - so nice. I like the way when you turn on the car they flip into action. And the red and white lighting itself subtly fades in (and fades out too, when you shut the car off). Combined, this effect seems "luxo"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I refuse to list any negatives here (there's some other threads around that cater to that). I think we can all agree that the Kia has a lot of positives, but we just don't list them often (especially after owning the car for a while).

So, you can add build quality to my list. It's definitely a big step above the competition - this does NOT feel like the typical econobox. For once, making a choice in this segment doesn't feel like a step backwards.

For instance, I just noticed the nice soft touch door panel where the window & lock controls are... huh, nice. Didn't realize it was a better quality plastic.

Plus, while waiting for my girlfriend one day - I put my finger between the top of the door panel - bottom of the window (where it rises... closer to the side mirror) ... and it's felt lined! Really? On the backside? Nobody would ever notice this (and it's such a small thing), but I give it to Kia for their great attention to detail.

And those gauges... those gauges - so nice. I like the way when you turn on the car they flip into action. And the red and white lighting itself subtly fades in (and fades out too, when you shut the car off). Combined, this effect seems "luxo"
Don't get me wrong, I posted some other glitches and negatives in the other thread, but I'm happy with the purchase. I can't say I've had any happy surprises, because I gave it a thorough test and research before I purchased. I found out all the good things and that is the reason I bought the car.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
When I did test drive Forte (current model) I had difficulty seeing red digits on dashboard. I did not do test drive of Rio so am wandering are those red numbers visible in bright sunlight or 'sort of 'visible? I personally hate red numerals and prefer white but that is just me...

·
Registered
Rio5 EX 2012 - M/T
34 Posts
A nice surprise for me was actually posted by someone else in another thread. The coin spot under the cup holder.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
I also did a lot of research on the Rio before I bought it too....but....its the little things you notice...once you have it home in your own garage and have the time to look properly.

-Little things like the jack having its own little bag complete with carry handle.
-The tyre change tool kit having a little spanner and screw driver included.
-The fact that the lights fade in and out....love it.
-The AWESOME tail lights that look like squashed hotplates. I've not seen a tail light like it on any other car.
-How damn fast the power windows go up and down (compared to the 5min wait in my old car....yes...I think this is fabulous).

There is 101 things I love about my Rio SLS and they are all happy surprises for me because reading about them doesnt compare to actually using them :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I did test drive Forte (current model) I had difficulty seeing red digits on dashboard. I did not do test drive of Rio so am wandering are those red numbers visible in bright sunlight or 'sort of 'visible? I personally hate red numerals and prefer white but that is just me...
I LOVE the red/white combo in the Rio.. but that's just me ;) In all seriousness, I find the readability in bright sunshine... no problem at all. The numbers them selves are actually bright white in this case, the red is reserved only for the needles and trip info.

Another little surprise for me was the Auto up/down on the driver window. Not so much the feature itself (most cars have this now), but rather it's execution. Many cars that I've driven in past - and I've driven a ton, since I work on them for a living - the up/down button is too "wishy-washy". And by that, I mean that the button should have a distinct manual up/down setting and another distinct "auto" up/down level. In most cars, the distinction is too soft, so you're fighting with the button trying to get the window down just a crack (*crap... all the way down again???... now all the way up??? arg.) :lol:

The Kia gets this just right! Very easy to bring the window down a hair if you want.

Oh... and I second the hidden coin holder. Neat.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
Woo Hoo. Just found a cargo net underneath where the spare tire goes in the trunk (still wrapped up in a bag). I was excited about that! Keeps stuff from rolling around in the trunk. I have to say I love my EX so far, only a couple months old.

-I do like that the dash is lit up even in the daytime, nice and bright!
-Love my steering wheel controls.
-The tiny little windows nearest the front windshield, I've put window decals in them, kinda funny spot for a little tiny window. So, I figured why not decorate them with some silly stickers from ebay.....

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
-The tiny little windows nearest the front windshield, I've put window decals in them, kinda funny spot for a little tiny window. So, I figured why not decorate them with some silly stickers from ebay.....
actually its there to improve your vision otherwise it would be a thick post. I had that on my Rondo and it was of help the odd time. It would not be something I would be covering up with "silly stickers".

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna, 2013 Kia Rio5 SX
14 Posts
I like the one touch on the turn signal to give you 3 blinks for lane changes!
Wait what?! LOL, I didn't even realize we had this! Same with this hidden coin holder. Awesome!

My favourite happy surprise is definately the comfort of the seat. I thought on the test drive I didn't like it for some reason after testing about 6 or 7 others, the Rio just wasn't that great, but after sitting in it for awhile, I find it's quite comfortable.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
actually its there to improve your vision otherwise it would be a thick post. I had that on my Rondo and it was of help the odd time. It would not be something I would be covering up with "silly stickers".
You seriously have to be kidding that you use those two little 'silly' 5" windows for better visibility? The day I need to peer through the two windows for help driving, is the day I need to quit driving! Really! :eek:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you'd be surprised. Although those little windows won't help in typical driving situations, they can come in handy on occasion. I had an instance where a little kid's head popped up in the window while I was about to pull out my street-parked spot. Although I saw him earlier, I hadn't seen him crawl between the two cars - looking for his toy. *gulp* ... lucky.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
I find that they in an unnoticeable manner they increase general overall visibility (not in a specific way per say) and it would probably be a lot worse if they were opaque pieces of plastic....

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
You seriously have to be kidding that you use those two little 'silly' 5" windows for better visibility? The day I need to peer through the two windows for help driving, is the day I need to quit driving! Really! :eek:
I concur! I can honestly say I never have had to use those little "sidelights" and can not foresee ever needing to.

To me they are just a PIA to clean!!!! Not even inportant enough for Kia to bother to put in solar glass.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
My understanding is that they are purely aesthetic, to make the cabin a feel little bigger and brighter. Same with the Fiesta and other cars in the class.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
My understanding is that they are purely aesthetic, to make the cabin a feel little bigger and brighter. Same with the Fiesta and other cars in the class.
Exactly. Most of the small sub compact type cars have them right now. It's just another piece of glass to clean. :cool: They don't bother me, though.

If they were so worried about visibility out the windows, the back window would be a heck of a little BIGGER!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts