Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage AWD LX, 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade from the current sized tire that's on my sportage LX all wheel drive. Going from a 225/65/r17 to a Firestone destination a/t 245/65/17? I want something a little wider than what's on there now. Any input would be appreciated!!! FYI... This is my first sportage.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
304 Posts
Before you select different tires check out an online calculator such as https://tiresize.com/calculator/. Remember as you change aspects of a tire you affect your speedo and your car's computer. Your particular change in size is outside off whats considered acceptable. A change to 245-60-17 pretty much gives you a wider stance and the changes are negligible. The other thing to consider too is the width of your rim and whether it can accomodate the new size.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
914 Posts
Fred,

Thanks for the link. I had it once and lost it. I love my SX but the tire size is a pain in the ...
I also think that a higher aspect tire gives a quieter ride. I may save until next winter and look
into new 18" wheels with a wider aspect tire. Was wondering if a set from a Sportage EX
(235.55.18) would work.

JK

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,056 Posts
The EX is also 225, not 235. You only have 7" rims, and that is not wide enough for 245's. Furthermore, you won't have any increase in traction and the ride will be a bit worse, not better, because the tire won't fit the rim properly. If your heart is set on 245's, then you'll need new rims. But again, on this car, there is no advantage to doing that. If only looks, and not performance, is the issue, then lowering the car and getting bigger rims (19x8), would be the answer. However, the ride will be worse because you will have a lower profile tire and not the matching suspension to compensate for it. If you do go for wider rims, make sure you get the right offset.

If you want better performance, then you could get higher performance tires of the same size. However, even the SX is not a performance vehicle and you won't see much improvement. Again, if looks are the issue, then you should be willing to get poorer performance. The stock tires on the car are not that bad. I've always changed the tires on my new cars to ultra high performance, and on this one, it is difficult to justify. However, probably the Michelin Premier's would be the best choice at your size. Again, while that is a great tire, you won't see much difference on this car. Believe it or not, the Koreans make damn good tires. On my last car, a 2014 Mazda 3, I put Hankook's on the car. But that car had a road noise problem and the Hankook's did noticeably better in that respect. In the past, I've used a bunch of tires from Pirelli, to Continental, to Michelin, to Yokohama Racing -- all ultra high performance -- but they were all on performance vehicles which I occasionally tracked or took through driver's ed courses.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. But if you are choosing a tire for performance, you should have specific goals in mind and choose the tire that meets those goals whether it be noise, traction, wet/snow performance, etc. All tires have pluses and trade-offs. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
914 Posts
The EX is also 225, not 235. You only have 7" rims, and that is not wide enough for 245's. Furthermore, you won't have any increase in traction and the ride will be a bit worse, not better, because the tire won't fit the rim properly. If your heart is set on 245's, then you'll need new rims. But again, on this car, there is no advantage to doing that. If only looks, and not performance, is the issue, then lowering the car and getting bigger rims (19x8), would be the answer. However, the ride will be worse because you will have a lower profile tire and not the matching suspension to compensate for it. If you do go for wider rims, make sure you get the right offset.

If you want better performance, then you could get higher performance tires of the same size. However, even the SX is not a performance vehicle and you won't see much improvement. Again, if looks are the issue, then you should be willing to get poorer performance. The stock tires on the car are not that bad. I've always changed the tires on my new cars to ultra high performance, and on this one, it is difficult to justify. However, probably the Michelin Premier's would be the best choice at your size. Again, while that is a great tire, you won't see much difference on this car. Believe it or not, the Koreans make damn good tires. On my last car, a 2014 Mazda 3, I put Hankook's on the car. But that car had a road noise problem and the Hankook's did noticeably better in that respect. In the past, I've used a bunch of tires from Pirelli, to Continental, to Michelin, to Yokohama Racing -- all ultra high performance -- but they were all on performance vehicles which I occasionally tracked or took through driver's ed courses.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. But if you are choosing a tire for performance, you should have specific goals in mind and choose the tire that meets those goals whether it be noise, traction, wet/snow performance, etc. All tires have pluses and trade-offs. Good luck.
Kia website says the EX has 235 tires as I stated above. Also, I would be getting the OEM wheels with the OEM tires.
My reason for the change would be that there are a lot more tire options in the 235 than the crazy 245.45.19 and the ride would be softer. I do understand that your reply was to the original poster
but did want to correct the EX tire size.

JK

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,056 Posts
Kia website says the EX has 235 tires as I stated above. Also, I would be getting the OEM wheels with the OEM tires.
My reason for the change would be that there are a lot more tire options in the 235 than the crazy 245.45.19 and the ride would be softer. I do understand that your reply was to the original poster
but did want to correct the EX tire size.

JK
The EX has 225's not 235's as the website says. How do I know? I own an EX. The website is wrong and for good reason. Here are the circumferences of the options:

225/55/18 87.16
225/60/17 86.30
245/45/19 86.96

Notice how close they are. Here's the 235

235/55/18 88.52

Not only is the 235 a slight stretch for a 7 inch rim, but visually you won't notice any difference. Plus, your speedometer will be about 1% off, you'll get slightly worse performance from the larger tire, and you'll get slightly lower mpg (gain from larger circumference minus loss from greater width).

Can you do it? Yes. But is it a good move for this type of car? Probably not. All of that technical stuff said, if the tire you want only comes in 235, and it makes you feel better, it's your car and your choice. There are superb 225's like the Michelin Premier A/S and the Continental Procontact TX. Our car has a speed limiter and you won't go fast enough to need a high or ultra high performance tire. I'm probably going to change to the Michelin's in the near future as I always like to have the best tire.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage AWD LX, 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx guys for the feedback and recommendations!! Yes, I was going for more the look then performance but thank you for changing mind. As I am new to the Sportage i thought it would look great and perform a little better.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,056 Posts
Thanx guys for the feedback and recommendations!! Yes, I was going for more the look then performance but thank you for changing mind. As I am new to the Sportage i thought it would look great and perform a little better.
IMO, bigger wheels and lower profile, wider tires, always "look" better. That is the frustration. If you had a performance vehicle and either tracked it or rode it fast on mountain roads and were willing to give up on ride quality or wet/snow performance, then I'd go for it. But with our car, there is really little to gain..... damn-it....

·
Registered
Kia Sportage SX Turbo 2017
4 Posts
Tire Upgrades to 2017 Sportage SX Turbo AWD

Where I live (northern suburbs of Chicago) Kia dealers have Hankook Kinergy GT 245/45R19 (98H) tires on all of their 2017 Sportage SX Turbo AWD cars. These tires get a mediocre winter/snow performance rating of 5.1/Fair on Tire Rack website. I am thinking (for winter driving safety) of requesting that dealer swap out to Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 245/45ZR19 (98Y) which are highest rated (among ultra high performance all-season tires) for winter/snow performance at 8.1/Good on Tire Rack. Only cost $25/tire more for Continental. Comments please...

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD-2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
469 Posts
I have Kinergy GT 245/45R19 (98H) & have not used them in the snow yet....
The are also supposed to be marginal in the wet weather.....
They are awesome in the dry, wet & rain on my SX AWD....
I have 10K miles on them.

That being said.....

I had the Extremecontact DWS06 on my 2014 MB E350 4matic & they were great in all driving conditions.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Also remember...

Kinergy GT are grad touring & are supple on this vehicle.

Extremecontact DWS06 are UHP & tend to be a rougher ride.

They were fine on my MB, but that was a MB.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Just to chime in...

For winter tires try to stay with OEM size, or go even one or two steps lower.
So for 225 I would go with 205 width.

245 for this little car is way too big. You will not really have much of traction in snow. They will not bite so well. Plus on slushy/wet snow - they will easily hydroplane.

Here is the suggestion.
Look for tire load. Compare to this what OEM had specified. One can go lower, but be reasonable. Remember that under hard braking or sudden turn only two wheel may need to support the weight.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,056 Posts
The DWS is a very good tire and I doubt you'll see much of a difference in ride quality. Hankook's make some very good tires and some lower performing tires. I had their S1 Noble2 tires and they were jut about as good as the DWS in snow and quieter. I would recommend the S1 for ride quality and the DWS for traction in snow/ice, but they are both significantly better than stock. The DWS was just a little too noisy for me on a previous car. I have an EX and have the stock tires right now on this car. I'll probably move to Michelin's or the S1 when I have to replace the tires.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage SX Turbo 2017
4 Posts
Thanks to all of you that replied to my post for feedback on what Grand Touring All-Season tires are ideal for winter/snowy conditions for a 2017 AWD Sportage SX Turbo. I went back to the Tire Rack website and noted the following:
1. They listed 82 different tires that are compatible with the SX.
2. They listed 21 different tires in the Grand Touring All-Season category. So, I limited my screening to this category since the OEM tires (Hankook Kingery GT) are GT All-Season.
3. I came up with two different answers for the highest rated (for winter/snow conditions) compatible GT All-Season tires depending upon whether the Load Index or the Speed Rating is more important to be compatible with the Hankook Kingery GT which has a load index of 98 (1,653 lbs.) and a speed rating of H (130 mph):
a. For the identical load index of 98, the best winter tire is the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus.
b. For the identical speed rating of H (130 mph), the best winter tire is the Continental Procontact GX SSR.

Well, which should I choose?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,056 Posts
Thanks to all of you that replied to my post for feedback on what Grand Touring All-Season tires are ideal for winter/snowy conditions for a 2017 AWD Sportage SX Turbo. I went back to the Tire Rack website and noted the following:
1. They listed 82 different tires that are compatible with the SX.
2. They listed 21 different tires in the Grand Touring All-Season category. So, I limited my screening to this category since the OEM tires (Hankook Kingery GT) are GT All-Season.
3. I came up with two different answers for the highest rated (for winter/snow conditions) compatible GT All-Season tires depending upon whether the Load Index or the Speed Rating is more important to be compatible with the Hankook Kingery GT which has a load index of 98 (1,653 lbs.) and a speed rating of H (130 mph):
a. For the identical load index of 98, the best winter tire is the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus.
b. For the identical speed rating of H (130 mph), the best winter tire is the Continental Procontact GX SSR.

Well, which should I choose?
If you are going to change your tires, don't go cheap. Choose the DWS as it is better than both. Personally, I'd still go with the Hankook S1 Noble2 but I've had direct experience with both of them and I like the quieter ride of the Hankook. But the DWS is much, much better than either the P-Zero (which I've also had) and the Procontact (which I have not personally had). There are a couple of things on a car where I don't skimp -- tires and brakes. My suggestion is to always pay a little extra for the best when it comes to your lives or your family's lives.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I had DWS on Rondo
225/55x17

While the first season was great, once they got some wear, snow (especially hard, packed snow) grip was basically none.

However, I must say they had excellent grip and were very quiet. Wet traction was incredible.
Down sides: soft shoulder/side wall (I had to add about 3-5 PSI over OEM to keep them in shape).
Thread wear: they were down to unusable after about 27k miles. Keep in mind winters were driven on winter tires, so DWS did not see snow after 1st season (second season, first snow - I had to go to winter set). At that time the tires had maybe 10k miles...
And one more thing - I believe that was corrected in the first years, though - tendency to flat spots. If car was parked for more than two days, there would be distinct flat spot that would go away after a few miles and a few harder turns.

Would I buy them again?
For the grip YES.
For the issues - NO.

Good for you? If you see snow occasionally - sure, you will be happy. Very good grip all year around (even winter), but not so much on snow after initial 10k miles.
On the other hand - you may not need winter tires at all if you just keep in mind that you must go slower and be careful.

Now, one thing for parameters.
While I agree to stick as close as possible to OEM size (some sizes are "exchangeable", such as for 225/55x17 you can put 205/60x17 or 245/50x17 - all have almost same height), load rating should not be much lower, I do not see why you would really be so concern about speed rating.

Speed rating is a parameter that says at what speed the tire can be driven for prolonged times.
If you are racing and can reach 130 mph - then it is justified. Otherwise, even for a tire rated 100 mph, you will be just fine. It will NOT go bad if you drive for a moment or two at speed of 110 mph...
Speed rating is selected based on maximum speed of the vehicle. You can select whatever suits your needs and your driving.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Pirelli P Zero were OEM equipment on my 2011 MB E350 4matic.
They were terrible...... Rough ride & I had 2 blowouts from pot holes.

Replaced them with Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology
These were great very smooth ride...
I liked them better than the procontact & extreamecontact

Continental Procontact were OEM equipment on my 2014 MB E350 4matic. (smooth ride)
They were fine.....
Replaced them with Extremecontact DWS06 (a little rough ride)

Kinergy GT (Very smooth ride)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts