Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every 4-5 months I get a warning light saying one of my 4 cylinders is miss firing...If i ignore it some time in the next 2-3 weeks it is running ruff because of all the miss firing.....You cant tell me I need to replace plugs and wires on my 2002 Sportage, 4 wheel slide, 4 door automatic every 6 months..... does anyone have an idea of what is causing this many miss fires...

HELP

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage EX AWD Premium Pkg, 2001 Ford F150
9 Posts
Did you look at the plugs? Are any of them corroded or dirty? Which cylinder? Have you been adding a detergent additive to your fuel every 3 months or so? Coolant levels normal? Oil look clean, dirty, gummy? Sounds like something is fouling your plugs.

No expert just a novice guess.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
1,293 Posts
Big time mis fire issues

Every 4-5 months I get a warning light saying one of my 4 cylinders is miss firing...If i ignore it some time in the next 2-3 weeks it is running ruff because of all the miss firing.....You cant tell me I need to replace plugs and wires on my 2002 Sportage, 4 wheel slide, 4 door automatic every 6 months..... does anyone have an idea of what is causing this many miss fires...

HELP
Try using an ohm meter and check your wires I've found wires with a bad crimp job on the terminals. They will only run about 1/2 scale on your meter. Bad ones usually read on the meter. Look at your wires to your injectors and coils.
Do a compression test you made have a bad valve.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts

HELP
It would help us help you if you provided some more information other than you're getting a misfire.

What kind of plugs are you using?

What code are you getting when you say you get a warning light?

Have you replaced any ignition coils? (these tend to be sensitive on 1st gen sportages)

How many miles do you have?

Don't just say you're getting a misfire and leave it at that for us to tell you what's wrong, all efi engines can misfire for dozens of reasons. You could be replacing spark plugs for no reason if you have an intake manifold gasket leaking close to a cylinder. Or a bad fuel injector, or a bad valve, or bad piston rings, or bad spark plug wires, or bad ignition coil, or bad timing, or bad high tension coil wires, or bad oil leak internal, or bad engine grounds.. it's just not possible if all you tell us is you have a misfire and ask for help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts