Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just registered literally 2 minutes ago. Have been browsing these forums for the last year though, getting much needed help by just reading some of the topics posted.

I felt as if it was time to register so boom here I am. Now for my question.
I have a 1999 Sportage, I had it inspected a year ago and it passed no issues. Well this past weekend I went to do the brakes and what do I see? anything with a ball joint is completely destroyed. It looks as if I hit a jump going 70 and every ball joint collapsed.

I ordered upper control arms, lower ball joints, inner tie rod ends, 2 sway bar links, 2 outer tie rod ends, and an idler arm. cost me an arm and a leg but I love this little truck. What tools besides a joint pulling kit will I need to complete the job? I have enough PB blaster to drown in, basic socket sets etc and a few hammers. A list would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, purchased a ball joint service kit. As for the forks is it going to damage anything if I use those? Heard sportages needed a special size fork. Could be wrong, if so then please correct me lol.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
The lower ball joint has got a 20 millimeter shaft, so it is necessary a more than 20 mm fork. With forks you cause the spillage of a lot of grease and you can damage the rubber shroud, but they are already damaged and you are going to replace the joints!

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
195 Posts
Might as well do the wheel bearings and struts since you will have it all apart. The 99 might be different, but on my 02 the lower ball joints bolt on, which is nice. Since you are replacing all the parts, you could use a pickle fork without worry. There are less destructive tools that you can get. Many parts stores rent tools. Also, just FYI, if the 99 is same as 02, you will have too move the steering box to make room to get the upper control arm front bolt out on the drivers side. Have fun, I love working on mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is going to be an all weekend job from what I can see. I took another look this morning just to be sure and it looks as if I don't need a ball-joint c press. I could be wrong but majority of them look as if they are just bolted in, tightened down with the nut and pinned.

Could I be wrong?

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
Yes, you are. You are not going to remove the ball joint without the proper tool.

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
The shaft on the ball joint (as well as the tie rods) tapers. When the castle nut is tightened it pulls the taper portion down pressing it into the steering knuckle.

With out the ball joint press or pickle fork you will never get them separated.

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
195 Posts
I think maybe just terminology. The balljoint is bolted to the lower control arm, so it just unbolts. To remove it from the spindle, you will need either the pickle fork or balljoint separator (different than the press). You can use the pickle fork because you are replacing the balljoint anyway. As stated previously; just make sure your fork is wider than the stud. Cheers...

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
I To remove it from the spindle, you will need either the pickle fork or balljoint separator (different than the press). stated
That is what I meant. I had a Mountaineer for 10 years and you had to press the lower ball joint out of the comtroll arm. Old habbits die hard :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts