Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wonder if we could interest an enterprising person with a milling machine into producing a bracket to move the brake calipers out by about 30-40mm, allowing for the use of significantly larger rotors? Then it would be a matter of tracking down rotors with the same bolt pattern/offset but a larger diameter.

That's one of the few things I'd change with the Sorento...the brakes are a bit softer than I'd like. Moving the pads further out from the hub ought to provide significantly more torque when stopping the vehicle (longer lever to the fulcrum point).

Just thinking out loud.

Best,

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Wonder if we could interest an enterprising person with a milling machine into producing a bracket to move the brake calipers out by about 30-40mm, allowing for the use of significantly larger rotors? Then it would be a matter of tracking down rotors with the same bolt pattern/offset but a larger diameter.

That's one of the few things I'd change with the Sorento...the brakes are a bit softer than I'd like. Moving the pads further out from the hub ought to provide significantly more torque when stopping the vehicle (longer lever to the fulcrum point).

Just thinking out loud.

Best,
Have you tried different pad materials, like semi-metallic vs, ceramic vs organic. I know the right premium quality pads can make a big difference. You might just be better off trying to find a twin piston caliper upgrade as well. Check it out. I drive fast and think that the braking is acceptable for a 4100lbs vehicle. Most times when you get new pads from the dealer, if you cant do it yourself they just throw on cheap pads.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried different pad materials, like semi-metallic vs, ceramic vs organic. I know the right premium quality pads can make a big difference. You might just be better off trying to find a twin piston caliper upgrade as well. Check it out. I drive fast and think that the braking is acceptable for a 4100lbs vehicle. Most times when you get new pads from the dealer, if you cant do it yourself they just throw on cheap pads.
I used to autocross highly modified Audis. There's only so much you can do with updating the pads. One of the "tricks" for A4 owners used to be replacing the caliper carriers with those from a TT. That would allow you to upgrade the rotors to A8 parts which were huge in comparison. The difference in braking was night and day...with the stock calipers. The Sorento system needs a bigger heat sink (more rotor mass) and more leverage. Leaving the calipers where they are and simply adding two small pistons instead of one larger piston isn't going to amount to much of a change.

If we could get something like the Hawk HPS pads for the Sorento, I'd have done that already. That would be a good start. :)

Best,

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I used to autocross highly modified Audis. There's only so much you can do with updating the pads. One of the "tricks" for A4 owners used to be replacing the caliper carriers with those from a TT. That would allow you to upgrade the rotors to A8 parts which were huge in comparison. The difference in braking was night and day...with the stock calipers. The Sorento system needs a bigger heat sink (more rotor mass) and more leverage. Leaving the calipers where they are and simply adding two small pistons instead of one larger piston isn't going to amount to much of a change.

If we could get something like the Hawk HPS pads for the Sorento, I'd have done that already. That would be a good start. :)

Best,
Well I can think if many benefits from having better/bigger brakes, decreased braking distance, and the ability to tow heavier loads without the need for trailer brakes which is a big plus in my book. Plus they would just look good with our wheels.:D I hope your able to come up with something feasible let us know if you do.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
I put slotted and drilled rotors on my 03 and I have had to stand on them a couple of times. I swear she was ready to stand on her nose. Been 7 years now and they are the same pads and never been turned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts