Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia sportage 4x4 4dr
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my water pump went out so i replaced the timimg belt also. but went i was taking it apart i noticed that the cam marks were off. the i one tooth before and the e one tooth after. had low power especially with ac on. well i put the left cam dead on and right cam one tooth before...wow what a difference.it spins the tires easy even with ac on. i did a seafoam treatment and it got a little better. it idles great now no hesitation at all and the lope is gone. evrytime i do something to this thing it impresses me. very easy to work on, fun to drive and they wheel good even in stock form. can't wait to do more to it like some weight reduction and the lift and tires.......more to come

·
Premium Member
1999 kia Sportage 2.3l long stroke modified ,2005 Magna 3.5l,2006 nissan navara d22
132 Posts
I liked your post doing something a little different in tuning is always interesting.Although not having it correctly timed in the first instance means you don,t really have any base power/revs outputs to compare.
So possibly in standard it pulls to 5500rpm and now it pulls to 4500rpm but even stronger.If you can give some rev readings when power drops off whilst driving (safely).
regards Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok will do i plan on taking it for a spin today

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
took it for a drive and i got on it. it pulled to 6k....really impressive. i will get a video up soon for the disbelievers...lol and a pic of the cams position. it has good low end(can spin the tires on pavement and will bark second) . its just plain sweet the way it is running. my buddy has a vtec honda that i keep up with with no problem. i am wanting to build a 2wd now and turbo it...that should be lots of fun.

·
Premium Member
1999 kia Sportage 2.3l long stroke modified ,2005 Magna 3.5l,2006 nissan navara d22
132 Posts
I,m impressed and surprised,did you get any impression where peak torque was ,standard is 4200rpm.Normally there is a sweet spot to change gears without over revving .
With my motorbikes the higher the revs run at ,the quicker the time between rebuilds.Same rule applys to cars.Turbo sounds good aftet market or off the mazda 626.(f3 engine) .What is the mileage on that engine?
Regards Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its 185,000 lol...going to get a rebuild soon.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2.0L DOHC 4x4 Auto.... 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC 4x4 Auto.
27 Posts
subscribed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts