Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a way to black out the chrome window trim and door handles. I haven't seen much about it by the searchs I have done. :confused: I am not sure how I feel about the plasti dip product. I want something that will hold up and look great. Does anyone have any tips on this project?

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I have used (and still have a can of) Plastidip. I used it on my last car to do the Mitsubishi Lancer "Evo mod". It seemed to hope up well, plus I imagine using it on your door handles will not be too unpleasant as it is the same stuff people use to make rubber grips for hand tools, in the dip form. Just put on light layers at a time, mask everything off and you'll be good.

One thing to note is be careful when removing the tape you used for masking, if you are too rough or didn't use a razor to trim the edge, you could potentially rip up the edges and it won't look good.

The best part of Plastidip is if you don't like it, you can just peel it off

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I have been researching the plasti dip more. I do like the fact that I can peel it off. I am concerned of how it will look all black so it looks like the pasti dip is my best bet to see how I like it.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Plastidip might be the best option for the door handles. As for the flat surface chrome like the window frames and what not, try some black vinyl, might be easier.

·
Registered
Sportage 2011
38 Posts
here in southamerica, the LX version has the trim in black, so maybe you can find the pieces in some dealer, but not sure who...

·
Premium Member
11 Sportage AWD SX
32 Posts
I will 3rd the Plasti Dip recommendation. used it on my grill, inserts above the fog lights, emblems, door handles and all the window trim and after a little over a month so far looks the same as day I did it. If you do the door handles try to get it as best you can behind the handles as well.

Also wanted to mention I had my first Sportage Vinyl wrapped. I prefer the look of the plasti dip over the vinyl wrapping. Guessing the Vinyl wrapping will hold up much better in the long haul but going back to original wont be so easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts