Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best place to buy parts for these vans?
I'm not interested in the stealer, Rockauto is not bad but is there a better place to order from?
Also does anyone know if there is a different thermostat temp other than the 180*F one?
So far all I can find is the 180 but I do not know if there is a cross reference from another brand, like Ford, or Honda that is hotter and will fit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What is the best place to buy parts for these EDIT: 2006 Kia Sedonavans?
I'm not interested in the stealer, Rockauto is not bad but is there a better place to order from?
Also does anyone know if there is a different thermostat temp other than the 180*F one?
So far all I can find is the 180 but I do not know if there is a cross reference from another brand, like Ford, or Honda that is hotter and will fit.

2006 Kia Sedona

Parts: Be glad you have a 2006-2012 Kia Sedona instead of a 2007-2009 Hyundai Entourage. (Entourage is a rare car)

Best bet for OEM parts is going to be the "online" division of a dealer.

(Best way to search is to obtain the part number for the part you desire, type it into your favorite search engine.)

Thermostat:

Are you wanting to go hotter than 180 or cooler?

Best bet on the thermostat is to go to a parts place that has the 180 you refer to, (or pull the old one out) and have them pull it and see if they can match it up.

Alternatively you could try searching via

PS: I don't know about you but I like it when I'm running a search and the search engine takes me DIRECTLY to a post that is model specific.
Referring to your "van" by what it is helps those searching later on. Most search engines don't read you "sig". More people that post in such a manner equals more "hits" when you are searching...

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you need brake parts such as rotors, pads, brake lines etc. feel free to check us out here on the forum. I am a vendor on here so I am able to give your great prices and discounts on these parts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont need brake parts right now, I had to replace all 4 sets of pads the day after we brought her home.
Next time around R1, thank you.

I want a hotter t-stat WANA, its my wifes van and she only drives it 6 miles a day total, our last car (Volvo w/turbo) used to get water in the oil because the engine never got hot enough to evaporate the condensation in the crank case.
This was only a problem in the winter, summer no issues.

I dont want to have to look up separate part numbers, I just want to go to one place and order everything I need.
Something like this, Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories
Right now I am looking to replace all cooling hoses and the t-stat.
Next up will be the spark plugs.
The belt looks brand new.
I already replaced the power steering fluid, brake fluid will be soon too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I dont need brake parts right now, I had to replace all 4 sets of pads the day after we brought her home.
Next time around R1, thank you.

I want a hotter t-stat WANA, its my wifes van and she only drives it 6 miles a day total, our last car (Volvo w/turbo) used to get water in the oil because the engine never got hot enough to evaporate the condensation in the crank case.
This was only a problem in the winter, summer no issues.
I think your best option would be a block heater if you don't have a garage. If it was me, I'd have a remote start as well... for those times you can't plug the car in.

Q: What does the stealer show? Do they show alternative thermostat?
What do they recommend? I would think in Grandville MI this is a common problem.

How about this, contact a dealer in Alaska and see what they do. (I'm serious) this said you are far enough up north your local dealer (Independent shop who sees cars with alot of mileage on them- and actually repairs things instead of replacing entire assemblies would probably be a better option) should have some suggestions.
PS: Make sure to post back your findings, along with part numbers...

I dont want to have to look up separate part numbers, I just want to go to one place and order everything I need.
Something like this, Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories
Right now I am looking to replace all cooling hoses and the t-stat.
Next up will be the spark plugs.
The belt looks brand new.
I already replaced the power steering fluid, brake fluid will be soon too.
Re: I don't want to look up part numbers
I would be interested in such sources also, and not have to look up part numbers, but here's the deal:

Unlike a high end or a rare car such as a Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, etc cult type car to 99.99% of people that own such they view these vans with the same PASSION as a REFRIGERATOR or a WASHING MACHINE.
(Really)

To most it's a big box with wheels, it's a people mover and a consumer grade one at that. It's not a fleet type vehicle in which businesses use in mass in large quantities, like say a Dodge Caravan, Ford 1-Ton Van in which multiple suppliers are vying to get your business...

The Sedona and Hyundai Entourage are not "Cult" cars.
There are no monthly meets in which people with the same type cars get together, and the boards on the net don't get much traffic as well. If someone does happen to post, they seldom post "detailed" info, they don't post part numbers.... and most don't post back at at xyz solution worked for them.

I find very few "mods" for the cars... (Try to find some lowering springs and struts for a 2007 Entourage.)

Your best option to find everything in one place?

Dealer
RockAuto
Autozone
Advance Auto
O'Rilleys
PepBoys
On line dealers.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,504 Posts
The only t/stat kia makes is the OEM temp. I would dought anyone makes a diff temp t/stat for your Kia. The car needs to be warmed up longer before she takes off for work. Remote start would be a good thing to try.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
WANA good point on the "washing machine" comment, very good call, I had not thought of that.
It is parked in a garage, its not heated.
It has a remote starter, we dont use it, waste of gas.
She only lets it warm up for a few min, just long enough to get the kids in their car seats.
She drives it 3 miles in the morning taking the kids to school, parks it in the garage.
Drives it 1.5 miles back to school in the afternoon, parks in line, shuts it off, sits for a hour, drives 1.5 miles home.
Parks in the garage and it sits all night.
The engine never gets hot.
The store is only a mile away.
Gas station 2 miles.
Mall 2 miles.
Everything we need is within 5 miles of our house.
Letting the engine idle needlessly wastes fuel, she will not do that, I have told her to, she will not.
So I have to make do and think of alternative things to keep the van running well.
Contacting a dealer in AK is not a bad idea, I will report back if I get it figured out.
If not I will also post that as well.
I had to put the battery charger on the battery of our old car once a week to keep the battery full because it never ran long enough to keep the battery charged with the extra load of the lights, wipers, rear defroster, etc. running in the winter and the short trips.

·
Registered
263 Posts
WANA good point on the "washing machine" comment, very good call, I had not thought of that.
It is parked in a garage, its not heated.
It has a remote starter, we dont use it, waste of gas.
She only lets it warm up for a few min, just long enough to get the kids in their car seats.
She drives it 3 miles in the morning taking the kids to school, parks it in the garage.
Drives it 1.5 miles back to school in the afternoon, parks in line, shuts it off, sits for a hour, drives 1.5 miles home.
Parks in the garage and it sits all night.
The engine never gets hot.
The store is only a mile away.
Gas station 2 miles.
Mall 2 miles.
Everything we need is within 5 miles of our house.
Letting the engine idle needlessly wastes fuel, she will not do that, I have told her to, she will not.
So I have to make do and think of alternative things to keep the van running well.
Contacting a dealer in AK is not a bad idea, I will report back if I get it figured out.
If not I will also post that as well.
I had to put the battery charger on the battery of our old car once a week to keep the battery full because it never ran long enough to keep the battery charged with the extra load of the lights, wipers, rear defroster, etc. running in the winter and the short trips.
Remote starter-waste of gas... Install a BLOCK HEATER.
Unheated garage= I'd install a block heater.
I'd also consider blocking part of the radiator

Those short trips are HARD on a car.
You need to combine your trips... use the Pit-Stop and Turbo-mode feature of the remote starter.
I'm sort of in the same boat, except with no garage. I'm going with a block heater, and will be adding in a remote starter. (Not really needed so bad if car has a block heater- but it has other features)

Remote starter Plus= Pit stop mode... on short trips to store leave car running while you go in store... this saves a re-crank, leaving running charges the battery. Car is warm in winter or cool in summer.

You can also enable "turbo-mode", the original purpose to idle the car for xyz mins when key is removed to allow turbo to cool-off.... This would increase the amount of run time on short trips... which you sorely need.
You need to increase the run-time somehow, remote start and enabling turbo-mode would require the least user interaction. (I think you can configure turbo-mode to automatically engage... Pit Stop mode requires user interaction- EG: A certain key press.)

PS: 2006 Kia Sedona... What kind (Model/ brand) of remote starter did you go with, and did you tie system in with the CAN-BUS? (Data bus)

Additionally does your 2006 Sedona have power tailgate (hatch), power sliding doors left and right?

Did you tie in remote start so you could control doors /hatch /sunroof /rear power vent windows?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She does not make multiple stops, drive the kids to school, drive home.
Drive to school, pick up kids, drive home.
The van sits in the garage all day, sits in garage all night.
I dont think I need to install a block heater, it does not get that cold here, the garage almost never gets below freezing, we leave the pop in the garage all winter and it almost never freezes, it will get slushy.
It does get below freezing outside on a regular basis, but inside the attached garage not that bad.

We did not install the remote starter, it came with the van, we use the keyless entry on it but thats it.
I played with it when we first got the van, it will run the engine for 20min, it turns on the parking lights, it locks the doors, the radio does not come on, wipers do not come on, HVAC turns on whatever you left it at.
Press your foot on the brake and the engine shuts off.
I have no idea what brand it is.

No we do not have power doors/liftgate, we specifically searched for a van without those "features".

·
Registered
263 Posts
She does not make multiple stops, drive the kids to school, drive home.
Drive to school, pick up kids, drive home.
The van sits in the garage all day, sits in garage all night.
I dont think I need to install a block heater, it does not get that cold here, the garage almost never gets below freezing, we leave the pop in the garage all winter and it almost never freezes, it will get slushy.
It does get below freezing outside on a regular basis, but inside the attached garage not that bad.

We did not install the remote starter, it came with the van, we use the keyless entry on it but thats it.
I played with it when we first got the van, it will run the engine for 20min, it turns on the parking lights, it locks the doors, the radio does not come on, wipers do not come on, HVAC turns on whatever you left it at.
Press your foot on the brake and the engine shuts off.
I have no idea what brand it is.

No we do not have power doors/liftgate, we specifically searched for a van without those "features".
Grandville Michigan = doesn't get that cold in the winter? = Ok.. if you say so..

Hot- cold... or should I say lukewarm.. the car barely gets up to temp.
Short stop and go trips.
Low temps.
Not run long enough to charge battery.

Not good.

Block heater would extend the lifespan of engine... Benefits outweigh the negatives.

You need either a car with a small low power high revving engine, or a electric car.

Expect the same to befall the Sedona as what happened with the Volvo.

PS: Thanks for the info on the remote start.

Oh, about the other thing you could do to get engine up to decent temp , is once engine temp comes up drive in manual shift mode= More revs = more heat.

(Stock setup shift points are geared towards maximizing fuel economy =low revs.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She really loves this van and I think I can talk her into letting it warm up in the morning once she starts to notice problems like slow cranking in the morning, slow windshield wipers, etc.
She would not be good at using the manual shift mode, she'd run it in 1st gear all the way. lol
Plus its not good to rev a cold engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
She really loves this van and I think I can talk her into letting it warm up in the morning once she starts to notice problems like slow cranking in the morning, slow windshield wipers, etc.
She would not be good at using the manual shift mode, she'd run it in 1st gear all the way. lol
Plus its not good to rev a cold engine.

Seems like a more elegant solution would be a BLOCK HEATER.
Downside= you have to plug it in, cost of electricity.

Upsides= Block. engine stays WARM.

No need to RUN car to get up to temp... NO exhaust fumes..
Reduces liability of a unattended running car (remote start).
Reduces chance you forget to open garage door before remote start..
No increased fuel costs.
Reduces run time of engine incurred using a remote start.
Increases lifespan of engine.
Instant heat.
Reduces oil change frequency...

If you are going to go the remote start route.... enable TURBO-MODE... your trips aren't long enough to get the oil hot /charge the battery.
(Not sure how that would work with your garage set-up)

Regarding manual shift mode... it does auto shift, and downshifts to 1st as needed.
This said in snow.... you will experience tire spin on take off if not careful.

What you really need so far as the trans is a shift kit which remaps how it handles gear shift points...

Best of luck...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know what turbo mode is on the remote start or if this model has it or not.
I have driven with the manual shift mode and not upshifted to see what it would do, and it just pegged the rev counter.
The throttle is very touchy on this thing, we are very curious to see what happens in the snow and if we will need to buy a set of snow tires for it or not.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I dont know what turbo mode is on the remote start or if this model has it or not.
Posting a pic of the remote fob might help..

"Turbo Mode" = On a turbo-charged car engine should be idled for several minutes before engine is shut down so turbo is cooled below a temp level oil cooks on the bearings... " Most remote start units have a "feature" that works similarly to "Pitstop mode"... in which you can configure the engine to run a set time after key is removed.

Pitstop mode= On most remotes you hit the same button you hit to remote start car,,, you will get a beep confirming command has been accepted.... then you can remove key from ignition... car continues to run... Exit car, lock with remote start keyfob - take key with you. Car will run until timer runs out, or brake pedal is depressed.

I have driven with the manual shift mode and not upshifted to see what it would do, and it just pegged the rev counter.
It should upshift as it approachs redline.
The throttle is very touchy on this thing, we are very curious to see what happens in the snow and if we will need to buy a set of snow tires for it or not.
You mention in another thread being snowplows being needed when winter hits.

You better get some tires lined up....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You only need to let a turbo cool off if you have been running it hard, driving around town, not a issue.
Cruising the expressway at 90mph+ for 3 hours...5min of idle time to let it cool off before shutting it off.
Diesel truck, towing a heavy load up a high, pulling stumps, etc. you need to let the turbo cool down.
If you drive like a normal person, not needed.

As for the snow tires, they plow the streets overnight/first thing in the morning. If the snow is to deep/bad school will be delayed or they will have a snowday and she wont have to leave the house, the van has new all season tires on it and that is all that is needed for 90% of the population around here, because they plow the streets and we live in the city.
If we really need to get somewhere and there is a blizzard, really deep snow, bad ice, etc. we take my Land Rover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts