Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have a view on what oil to run in the 2.5L K5/KV6 engine? After reading much info, I have settled on Shell Helix H7. It's 10W-40 grade and built on Synthetic technology. It appears this engine, along with many other late model engines require a lubricant that will withstand high temps. I'd say that part of the reason for its past failure could be put down to using wrong or low grade oil/ lack of servicing. The engine internals exhibited a fair amount of gum build up...not sure if this is due to the prolonged use of LPG or the high temps experienced when the coolant ran low.
The oil pan area and main bearing ladder were quite stained a brownish colour. The Shell Helix has some degree of detergent action so this might possibly prevent sludge/stain build up in the future.
Perhaps after this engine rebuild, the Helix H7 won't encounter any contamination from the green stuff that's supposed to stay in the radiator...:p

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Sounds like engine has had a hard life. Most oils have detergent, and all being well, only have to withstand "normal" temperatures. I know nothing of LPG (and never had any desire to do so).

10w-40 won't be far from the correct grade, and Shell is a good brand. Synthetic is supposed to last longer and withstand high temperatures. I use Castrol synth 5W-30 and Caltex 10W-30 in various cars.

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The engine must have become superheated as the cam belt (backplate assy) completely melted off its mounts on the R/H head..nearest the firewall. Apparently LPG is a KIA no-no.

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Oil for K5 2.5L engine

The dealer (when I was using one) used Magnatec (10W-40) and I've just stuck with that. Expensive if you buy it at RRP but SuperCheap frequently have it on special here.

I reckon the thing is to change it often. I do mine at 7-8,000km intervals (vs the manufacturer's recommended 15k). Divide the cost of the oil (and filter) by Kms traveled and its pretty minor. I've not had the pan off mine, but at change time typically check as far into the pan as my little finger will go and no sludge buildup detected.

The engine must have become superheated as the cam belt (backplate assy) completely melted off its mounts on the R/H head..nearest the firewall. Apparently LPG is a KIA no-no.
Bizarre, no wonder the piston melted. Wrt some of Conglomerate's posts, the concern is what it might have done to the alloy in the block.

(Encouraging sign if you are talking about putting oil in it mate.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts