Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Rio LX 6 Speed Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got a 2017 Kia Rio LX Manual. Wanting to get some LEDs to replace the halogens. Any advice or links to some LEDs would be appreciated and also need to know the bulb type. I believe the halogens are H4 9003 but wasnt for sure.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
111 Posts
If the 2017 has reflector headlights with the H-4 halogen dual filament bulb it would be hard to find a truly perfect LED .......It all has to do with the placement, the shape, etc. of the directional led’s . It’s extremely difficult, some say impossible, to mimic the halogen bulb.
You will probably have a scattered beam, some glare to oncoming drivers, lots of close up bright light and lose some distance light.

P.S. I’ve got an H-4 and a H-11 set of LEDs sitting in my garage both from failed attempts at replacing halogens. The H-11 were in projector housings that we’re ultimately replaced with HID’s . The HID’s worked great.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento (run about)
162 Posts
I've had great luck with H11 LED bulbs. Also had great luck in modified H9 base halogen bulbs in H11 halogen connector sockets (in my "run about" other vehicle) as well. The secret in getting good LED bulbs is using LED with `skinny` LED strips. They are much better than wide LED strips. If wondering, I use H11 LEDs in my towing vehicle (with adjusted aim) and they work great.

With above in mind, give LEDs a try. Especially the LED bulbs with adjustable aim focus point - using their adjustment screws. And after installing LEDs, do re-align their aim (which many people fail to do) as well. On my towing vehicle, I had to turn its left side light inwards (using a flat washer behind its light assembly) because its factory aim was way off as well. And, check their horizontal cut-off line as well. Not all LED lights are the same. And, remember to avoid the LEDs with "wide" LED strips.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It seems that your vehicle has H-11 bulbs ( at least that’s what autozone lists).....and not H-4.

If it’s H-11 , you probably have projector housings...if so , there are some good (definitely not cheap) LED’s that have been doing well in projector housings.

It would be interesting to see if anyone gives some feedback on LED success stories.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
518 Posts
I have LEDs in both cars, both have separate Lo beam projector.
Forte got SeaLight X1 and Sportage got Hikari (red box) - both are H11 bulbs.
Sealight is whiter in color and both are about same in brightness.
Check out Nineo LEDs as a very good bulb and not expensive either.

Also check this:

https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
518 Posts
An update on my LEDs - replaced SeaLight X1 series H11 with Katana H11 LEDs in Forte - very happy with results - much brighter and cast light a bit further.
Apparently, these LEDs are same as Supernova V4 at about 1/4 price.

·
Registered
2014 rio5 SX
19 Posts
I’ve got an H-4 and a H-11 set of LEDs sitting in my garage both from failed attempts at replacing halogens. The H-11 were in projector housings that we’re ultimately replaced with HID’s . The HID’s worked great.
did you put the HID's into the halogen projectors? or did you swap out for HID projectors?

for the OP, if you are trying to improve your headlights, look into HID's. they are a bit more expensive, but worlds better then anything LED can be/ do

·
Registered
111 Posts
I put Innovited H-11b HID 35 watt with AC ballasts ......I think they are the 5000 ( the brightness number......bright white not bluish)

Very happy so far, no blinding of on coming drivers but much brighter than the original H-11b halogens.

Almost forgot......in original projector housings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts