Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys, just sharing with you from a recent trip, it is the best mileage i have ever had long distance and city driving... (unbelievable!!) recent changes/test done on the sorento:
oil: castrol edge full synthetic 5w20 (changed at 24000km or 15,000 miles)
fuel: shell premium fuel (91 octane) on 5th tank now
average at long distance: 6.8-7.3 li/100km or 34.59-32.2 mpg
wind: going east at 60km/hr (my direction going south)
tires: 22"rims 265 35 zr22 tires
city driving 8.6 l/100km or 27.35 mpg (only 15 min drive)

it may be a coincidence or this oil could be the answer on our low mileage problem? i have attached pics for reference...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
showing pics of the oil used... it says meets the specs including hyundai engines, so that's why i tried it... i was wanting to go to mobil 1 or valvoline syn power sythetic, but picked the castrol instead... right now on a 187 km (117 miles) traveled total close to 1/4 tank...

let me guys know what you think....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
What do you think was the main contributor to your economy? What was it previously?

Wonder if it was the higher octane fuel? The traditionalists won't like that. I use Edge 5W-30 in my "good" car.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
fuel and oil it seems... and i think vehicle has reached "broken-in" state? gas mileage in hi-way before was 9.2-10.0; city was 13.2-14.6 awful...
i dont know what dealership was using before, i think it was quaker state? not too sure..

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I just took a weekend trip of almost 100% highway miles. With the cruise control set on 65mph, I averaged 28.5mpg. That's with the outside temp in the 80's, two adults and some luggage, and the air conditioning on. That's much better than I expected. Around town I'm hovering around 20mpg. What more could you ask for in such a heavy vehicle with AWD and 276hp? I've got just over 600 miles on it now and I'm happy as a clam.

Too bad we can't get the 2.2L diesel here in the US. I would imagine that this would offer MUCH better mileage and quite a bit more torque.

Best,

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
116 Posts
I can add to this - I just broke in my new 2013 Sorento EX V6 with a jaunt to Las Vegas - about 2200 miles total, much of it at 80-85 mph (some portions of I-15 in Utah are now set at 80!).

My overall mileage was about 27 mpg. It's wonderful to have a fuel range of 450 miles.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX, 2011 Sportage EX
119 Posts
My best ever was 27.5 on a 150 mi. hwy trip. Well, 90% hwy. averaged about 70 mph. I can't believe some are getting close to 30. I don't doubt them, just seems too good to be true in a 4000lb. 280 HP SUV.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
That is amazing...

That is amazing. I also have the 2009 V6 AWD Kia Borrego, which is a truck based SUV and at best, I get 21mpg on the hwy. Of course it weighs a thousand lbs more and the trans is only a 5 spd. My 2013 Sorento EX GDI is brand new and I really haven't been on the hwy much yet, but thus far, 30 mpg seems to be the rule.

My best ever was 27.5 on a 150 mi. hwy trip. Well, 90% hwy. averaged about 70 mph. I can't believe some are getting close to 30. I don't doubt them, just seems too good to be true in a 4000lb. 280 HP SUV.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
From my experiance with synthetic engine oil versus dino oil you can take that out of the equation.Been there done it twice on a GMC Duramax documented over many tanks of fuel,if the synthetic is helping fuel mileage it is nothing you could ever detect.The 91 octane gas probably has no ethanol in it,that would certainly help.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm, ok... but it could be that the sorento has reached the "post Break-in point" i am really happy with the mileage right now... time to time i do go to high rev's, passing someone at the high-way or do long sidtance every after oil change... just to stretch out our engine's power.. my friend's sorento feels sluggish, and i had a better fuel mileage compared to mine... we have same engine though, mine is an sx awd and his is an ex v6 awd.. it is just that he babys it so much.. what do you guys think??

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza SXL Smokey Blue/white
359 Posts
I think the difference between you and your friends is the transmissions have adapted to two different driving styles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

I am getting a little worried about my mpg. I bought a brand new 2013 ex v6 two weeks ago, have only 193 miles on it and it's already asking for fuel. The car tells me an mpg of 12.5

Not sure if it can be that bad, can it?

Also: what fuel are you putting in your tanks? No sure I am trusting the dealership's info.

Thanks,
G

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey,

I am getting a little worried about my mpg. I bought a brand new 2013 ex v6 two weeks ago, have only 193 miles on it and it's already asking for fuel. The car tells me an mpg of 12.5

Not sure if it can be that bad, can it?

Also: what fuel are you putting in your tanks? No sure I am trusting the dealership's info.

Thanks,
G
just shell.. better for import cars and is top-tier gas listed.. as per manuals recommendation (to use gas from the list that produces top-tier gasoline) regular gas for sure.. better mileage it seems now than the premium..

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
My cousin has a Sorento....I have driven it on the highway a few times now, and I can always get 28-30 MPG out of it - pretty sure it has dealer-standard oil, 87 Octane fuel and stock 18s. (FWD LX V6)
-
Speaking of the Borrego....my Aunt (nearly everyone in my family owns a Kia) has a RWD V8 Borrego, and driving that on a 250 mile highway trip I got 25.1 MPG, which was calculated, not from the trip computer (TC read 26.3).
-
It must just be the way I drive, but there isn't a Kia out there I can't best the EPA numbers by at least 2-3 MPG.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I made it nearly 500 MILES before I chickened out and got gas on a recent trip to VA. All highway, AWD V6, fair amount of luggage, A/C set to 73F on a VERY hot day, and cruise set at 65mph. I only use 87 octane regular unleaded...usually from Shell. It took 17gals when I filled it so I guess I could have eked out a bit more, but I don't like to run the tank that low. I usually fill it when I get down to 1/2 tank.

Best,

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
I'm trying this week for the best distance. Previously it was 680km with 2 or 3 liters left in the 68 liter tank.

Right now, I'm looking at getting up to 720km.

I'm doing mainly highway driving with some city...maybe a 85 to 90% amount of highway mostly going and coming from work. I'll figure out the exact amounts on a future test.

I have v6 AWD and I've been driving about about 100kmh or 60mph. Had the AC on auto most of the time, if not all, this week. Usually use cruise control on the highway.

I'm using the distance/mileage meter on the speedometer. Just after filling up at an Esso gas stating and getting on the highway, I got down to 8.1 l/100km and now I'm reading about 9.5 l/100km.

When I drive more aggressively and faster, it will deteriorate to 11.2 to 11.9 l/100km. In one situation with this heat and the traffic I was experiencing, the reading started at 11.2 and went up to 20 l/100km pretty quickly as I was stopped for long periods of time. After getting back up to speed, it averaged back out to the 11.2 to 11.9 range again.

After doing this, it really makes me want to drive at 100kmh all the time. Great mileage.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
Well, it was too good to be true.

I did mostly city driving and not highway driving for the last part of the tank. I ended up with a total of about 640 to 650 km on the tank with an average of just under 11 l/100 km.

650km on a tank is not too bad though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts