Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Borrego a few months ago, and I just have to say this thing is a beast in the snow. We received 40 centimeters of snow yesterday, I put the thing in 4wd, turned on my heated seats and drove to work no problem. the snow plow was actually behind me...haha. I live in Newfoundland, a small island in the middle of the north atlantic, we do not have a flat landscape, there are many large hills, and the terrain can be rough, even the paved roads, and I have to say I am very please how the Borrego peroformed in the snow, even going up hills.

I cannot believe that these vehicles are not selling. I bought this vehicle for less than the price of a "cute ute" Rav 4, some of which were stuck in snow yesterday.

The money you save on the price of these more than compensates for the gas mileage.

I hope to keep this rig for a long time. When it expires as an everyday family hauler I want to keep it as a weekend off-roading toy.

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
I think that most of the problems with Borrego sales is/was market timing. Kia came out with a new mid-size SUV (Borrego) in the middle of the biggest fuel price increase in history. Add that to an already crowded SUV market. Also true SUVs were beginning to lose favor with many buyers in favor of the new crossovers. The crossovers look like SUVs, but, because they are on fwd car platforms, they offer a smoother ride and better mileage. The new Kia Sorento went from a true SUV to a crossover because of the above mentioned reasons.
Now, that said, I'm glad that I got mine. I researched the mid-sized SUVs before I bought mine. I didn't need a crossover. Yea, better fuel mileage and a smoother ride is always nice, but, I use mine as a truck to tow trailers. I hope that Hyundia/Kia bring the Borrego back to the US market. They will continue to market it (Mojave) in other countries.
Robert V

·
Registered
90 Posts
We had snow and ice in Atlanta. I have a limited, but no 4 wheel drive. I was afraid to take mine out as it is rear wheel drive and therefore, not too good in the snow. I'd love to get other folks' comments on the 2 wheel driveability in the snow/ice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drive my borrego in 2wd most of the time. I only use 4wd in heavy ice and snow. I wouldn't venture out in bad weather without snow tires though. If you are used to driving in snowy/icy conditions;and have snow tires you should be fine. Just make sure you do not accelerate too quickly.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I am in the Atlanta area...

I am in the Atlanta area also (Kennesaw). My EX V6 Borrego is 4WD. I took it out several times and it handled great in the snow. In the ice, things got a bit dicey, but I never lost control. Replacing the stock hankooks with michelin MS2s made a big difference, as last year i the snow, it didn't do too great.

We had snow and ice in Atlanta. I have a limited, but no 4 wheel drive. I was afraid to take mine out as it is rear wheel drive and therefore, not too good in the snow. I'd love to get other folks' comments on the 2 wheel driveability in the snow/ice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We got about 4 inches here and being the first winter, took our Bo out to play, i mean, learn how it would do..

I still have the stock tires and just left the thing on auto (v6 4wd), the traction light flashed a few times, and the truck never failed to keep going. i tried finding bigger dips and ruts to run through, and it was very good. I am very impressed, and pleased at the performance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took my exv8 awd to Iowa and got suck in my sons drive, 6in. of snow, had it in 4wdh & one front & one back wheel would just spin, not all four, like 4wd should, stock tries with 22,500 miles on them, will ask dealer about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would never use the stock tires in winter. They are fine for spring, summer, fall. I would rather drive my front wheel drive Altima with snow tires than any 4wd with all season tires in snow. All seasons just don't cut it during winter where I live, they might work ok in mud, but not in snow, ice, or colder temps.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
206 Posts
Yep, will be replacing the tires this summer. The Hancocks are just horrible tires. On my '04 Honda Pilot, I had Yokohama Geolanders and that Pilot would go anywhere I wanted it to go. I cannot say the same about the Borrego. Hoping that by replacing the tires, it handles and rides much better.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego
233 Posts
Awesome story NewfieRock, I'm in Vancouver with brand new Blizzak snow tires and no freaking snow... well there was a little but no where near what you guys had. :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love my Borrego but hate it in the snow! It's a 2 wheel drive with stock tires. Bought it last year, haven't had to use my other vehicles 4wd more than 4 times in 8 years. This winter has been crazy. Took off work last time it snowed just because how bad it was. Again...love the SUV!!!

·
Registered
09 Borrego, 911RS, 1198, TZ125
23 Posts
This is my 2nd winter on mine (LX full time 4 whl drive). First year on the Hankook's I must say, it was poor in the snow, but they are all seasons. This year I bought Blizzaks' DM-V1's. This makes it near the top of the 4x4s in the snow. One thing I noticed is that because it's a street biased SUV and handles better than all but the Cayenne on pavement, on dirt or on snow it's not quite as good as some of the more off road biased vehicles in one situation. That situation is when the wheels are turned, if the wheels are straight, it's with the best of them. It climbs snow banks nicely!

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8
68 Posts
mine seems to be pretty poor in the 20+ inches we've had in the last few weeks, especially today when the ESC system decided to kick itself off and can only be reset by stopping the car in the middle of the street and restarting the motor
If you have just the 2WD, it would be tough. A small car with front wheel drive probably would do better than yours. 2, 3 years ago, when we had a big snow in Seattle, my brother in law had a miserable time driving his 2WD Dodge Durango too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received another 30 cm of snow yesterday, again no issues. My parents are visiting tomorrow, so to make room in my driveway I parked in about three feet of snow (that has been piled up from shoveling). I was easily able to get in and out of the snow bank in 4 Low.

I have about 7-8 ft. Of snow piled up on the side of my driveway towards the front, but I don't think I'll attempt that. ;)

RWD just doesn't provide good traction on snow or ice, there is just too much weight towards the front of the vehicle. A friend of mine just bought a Mercedes, beautiful car, but in snow he says it's horrible due to being RWD. Snow tires will help. All season tires are useless during winter where I live, actually I think it's mandatory here to use snow tires after Nov 30.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8
68 Posts
It's not bad when the ESC system is working as it won't let it slide. But like I said the thing just kicks itself off whenever it wants to and then you find yourself drifting like one of those Fast and Furious movies
Hey that's fun! When it's all covered with snow, I still go look for an empty parking lot and let my car slide around. But seriously, I had an ECS system either quit on my or gave me alarms before (on my old 2004 4Runner when I deliberately tried to slide the car. I don't remember if it quit after it sounded the alarm). I wonder that's how they designed it - quit when the parameters exceeded it's design? Did you check with Kia? On my Borrego (4WD), I was able to make the car slide around. But I don't remember that the ECS gave any indication that it quit or it was not able to handle the condition. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. But I think the alarm like in the 4Runner might give you more of a panic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts