Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a front wheel bearing go out on my 2003 Sedona, I noticed that the original was a tapered roller bearing, but the replacement was a ball bearing unit, The replacement bearing failed within 17 miles. It was again replaced with another new ball bearing, this one failed within 27 miles. I wonder if anyone else has this problem, I feel that a tapered roller would be the correct bearing to absorb the side thrust when cornering. However the replacement part seems to be a ball type bearing, rather than what was originally removed. Any help?? The work was done by a professional shop, who is now installing a third bearing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the original bearing was a tapered bearing there should be two bearings in the system. Tapered roller bearings have to work in pairs so they each support the directions of axial movement.

It doesn't make sense to me either that an original bearing would be a tapered roller and the new one would be a sealed ball bearing unit. That would almost surely mean the hub was made for the tapered bearing, as to how a sealed ball bearing would even fit is beyond me.

Was this a Kia dealer or a private shop?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts