Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento gdi 27000 miles s w p paint.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if my 2017 Sorento with 28000 miles battery will still be covered under Kia warranty? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,401 Posts
If you are within 3 years of the in-service date, yes. If you're the original owner, which month was the purchase?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2017 Sorento just bought it. 2nd owner

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
567 Posts
2017 Sorento just bought it. 2nd owner
I think the battery might be one of those original owner warranties and it's only good for three years from the in service date in any case. Pep Boys has the best price on a replacement AGM battery by far (look for their rebate page as there is another $40 off the sale price).

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX AWD V6
47 Posts
Here you go, $169, Walmart, free install (although easy DIY), Fits like a glove 850CCA. I bought one 2 weeks ago, has a 4 year Non-Prorated Replacement Warranty (website picture is the older model). AGM, Made by Clarios, ( The largest Lead Acid Battery MFR in America, Aka "JCI", Aka "Interstate", Costco, Autozone, Some Diehard, many OEMs). You may find the Pep Boys (Bosch, although, made by Exide, or Champion Made by East Penn) on super-special, must by online price for about $10 less. But then you have to deal with Pep Boys (IE: Mane didn't stock H7s, which is fine to order one, but iwhen they goes and you need a swap, waiting a week sucks), Walmart Battery Warranty is no hassle. Bring it in, and they swap it out, and the H7 is a normally stocked SKU.

The Sorento has an H7 AGM Battery. Some "battery finders" (including Walmarts Website say it's not., but the site run by Clarios for Walmart is correct (https://www.battfinder.com/)) and I insure you it's an H7 AGM battery =-). The old Hyundai one says so on it even =-).

One I bought 2 weeks ago had a build date of 7/20, so uber fresh.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
567 Posts
Here you go, $169, Walmart, free install (although easy DIY), Fits like a glove 850CCA. I bought one 2 weeks ago, has a 4 year Non-Prorated Replacement Warranty (website picture is the older model). AGM, Made by Clarios, ( The largest Lead Acid Battery MFR in America, Aka "JCI", Aka "Interstate", Costco, Autozone, Some Diehard, many OEMs). You may find the Pep Boys (Bosch, although, made by on super-special, must by online price for about $10 less. But then you have to deal with Pep Boys, Walmart Battery Warranty is no hassle. Bring it in, and they swap it out.

The Sorento has an H7 AGM Battery. Some "battery finders" (including Walmarts Website say it's not., but the site run by Clarios for Walmart is correct (https://www.battfinder.com/)) and I insure you it's an H7 AGM battery =-). The old Hyundai one says so on it even =-).

One I bought 2 weeks ago had a build date of 7/20, so uber fresh.
Up until July 25, it was more like $53 less but the $40 rebate ended on that date. It will start up again in September as it runs almost every month. Same 4 year free replacement as everyone else these days. It's a Champion, made by Johnson Controls, now Clarios, and is likely almost identical to the WM one.. Pep Boys is no worse, or better, than the lot jockeys at Wally World and also does free installation.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX AWD V6
47 Posts
Up until July 25, it was more like $53 less but the $40 rebate ended on that date. It will start up again in September as it runs almost every month. Same 4 year free replacement as everyone else these days. It's a Champion, made by Johnson Controls, now Clarios, and is likely almost identical to the WM one.. Pep Boys is no worse, or better, than the lot jockeys at Wally World and also does free installation.
My Pep Boys doesn't stock it, 5 days "special order". The $40 Rebate was on the Bosch, the Champion was $20, ended up with the Bosch the same as Walmart, and the Champion about $149. Which was a good deal, cept they don't stock it at the Pep Boys (which is about 15 miles from me) nor the "Pep Boys Repair Center" (which is a couple miles from me). All oth Pep Boys in my area have been closed for many, many years.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
567 Posts
My Pep Boys doesn't stock it, 5 days "special order". The $40 Rebate was on the Bosch, the Champion was $20, ended up with the Bosch the same as Walmart, and the Champion about $149. Which was a good deal, cept they don't stock it at the Pep Boys (which is about 15 miles from me) nor the "Pep Boys Repair Center" (which is a couple miles from me). All oth Pep Boys in my area have been closed for many, many years.
Not to argue but the Champion was also $40 rebate.

I only persist because they have the same rebate program about every other month and to get an AGM made by the same company as who makes the one for Wally World for $113 is one heck of a deal in my book. If someone needs it now, it's obviously not an option to wait but buying in anticipation of failure (like we do in Arizona - 47 months and we're shopping batteries even though the car starts fine) then it's worthwhile tracking the price. Anything beats the $348 the dealer quoted my neighbor for the OEM AGM replacement 😱 (he, fortunately, was able to get the one at Pep Boys for the $113 after rebates). I am not a fan of Pep Boys so not trying to endorse them but also wouldn't let the minimum wage mechanic at Wally World touch my car either.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX AWD V6
47 Posts
My Point is it's a stocked battery at Walmart, not at Pep Boys, so if your battery goes and you need a warranty swap, do you park your car for a week? Walmart is everywhere, if one is OOS they're another down the street with it. The battery warranties are through the retailer, not the manufacture nowadays, and therefore that's worth a couple bucks. I admit that looked like a great deal for me a couple weeks ago, but when I put in the fact that about most of the PepBoys in my area (Greater Sacramento) are no-more... that weighs in. Pep Boys also has a way of making a warranty swap a PITA. Walmart I just bring it in, and say "it doesn't work", they hand me my money back or a new product (my choice usually). Autozone is the same way, years ago I had one of their batteries go flat, they forced me to keep it overnight to "test". (I'm guessing they wanted to trickle charge it to see if they could bring it back to life, although there was a dead cell in it, so I was without a battery for about 36 hours). Never have that issue with Walmart. Techs, hell, even your Dealer pays Battery and Tire Busters Minimum wage (my first job was exactly that), there's usually only a few well paid "technicians" (and if you are lucky, a real "mechanic" who knows how to diagnose) on staff, I've had just as good of service with Walmart than with many dealers. At least they don't go into upsell hell like Pep Boys does (what we used to call mechanical fishing expeditions, there's a reason why your local shop has $20 Oil Change specials, it's to sell brake jobs weather your car needs them or not). Also how are PepBoys Rebates, the one time I tried that I never saw the check? If I remember they handle the rebates themselves, not the manufacture.

(For the record, the Sorento Battery is simple-Dimple to replace, I did it myself, and anyone else should be able to also). The Walmarts near me have their Tire Centers closed due to covid, although they did tell me they could send someone out to perform the swap if needed in the parking lot).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone, I called my local Kia dealer unfortunately after giving them my vin. They told me I was out of warranty😢 so called the dealer in Tampa where I bought it and they say I have to drive back to Tampa and they will replace the battery. So my Monday is shot .seems kinda wrong to me. What if I bought it in Florida and drove to Alaska or wherever , they say they could not just cut a check if I replaced it myself.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts
Thank you everyone, I called my local Kia dealer unfortunately after giving them my vin. They told me I was out of warranty😢 so called the dealer in Tampa where I bought it and they say I have to drive back to Tampa and they will replace the battery. So my Monday is shot .seems kinda wrong to me. What if I bought it in Florida and drove to Alaska or wherever , they say they could not just cut a check if I replaced it myself.
It looks like the selling dealership is offering some "goodwill", which is better than nothing.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,401 Posts
Thank you everyone, I called my local Kia dealer unfortunately after giving them my vin. They told me I was out of warranty😢
One of the things they should have told you when you gave them your VIN was your in-service date. You may have been beyond 3 years for the battery, but you really want to know when your 5 years of the 5/60 expires, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts